Anyone understand what Boris is saying?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Catseye

Re: Anyone understand what Boris is saying?

Post by Catseye »

SunlampVexesEel wrote:
Catseye wrote:I would suggest ,we all have our own agendas/desires and give more weight to our preconceptions.
+1
Very good but you missed the whole point of proceeding bit "When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."

What makes the mind pure?

Rejecting-preconceptions,prejudice ,authority,indoctrination, believing anecdotal BS and worse of all what your peers think.

Evidence(preferably peer reviewed) breaks this prejudice and endless circular arguments.

Informed choices that can be understood by the majority of the electorate is democracy, without education you cannot have democracy(free informed choice) as the debacle in the Third World exemplifies,except, maybe for India and even Turkey is going backward.

The British electorate were never informed what they were voting for-as you have brilliantly demonstrated by your own contradictory analysis-someone who- and I quote- "Yes, absolutely 100% informed."

Then and only then can" joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."

Now, do get what The Buddha was saying-a philosophy that keeps on giving throughout the ages :D
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Catseye wrote:Very good but you missed the whole point of proceeding bit "When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."
I'm not sure I did.
Catseye wrote: Rejecting-preconceptions,prejudice ,authority,indoctrination, believing anecdotal BS and worse of all what your peers think.
That's the crux. How's Project Fear looking? Does that fit the mental model?
Animis opibusque parati
mystery

Post by mystery »

I don't compare how bad either campaign was or still is. I just want to understand some possible future scenarios. One I would particularly like to understand is where we "hard brexit" and don't affiliate to any trading bloc. In simple terms, how would import and export tariffs be then for our trade with every other country or trading bloc in the world. And what impact would this have on our imports and exports? I know there are lots of unknowns but it should be possible for someone with more knowledge than me to describe possible scenarios?

Sve, where did you get your one hundred percent information from and why do you feel unable to share it?
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

mystery wrote:In simple terms, how would import and export tariffs be then for our trade with every other country or trading bloc in the world. And what impact would this have on our imports and exports? I know there are lots of unknowns but it should be possible for someone with more knowledge than me to describe possible scenarios?
Try this... http://www.lawyersforbritain.org/brexit ... ties.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mystery wrote:Sve, where did you get your one hundred percent information from
I've been interested in politics, war and finance for a very very long time.
mystery wrote:and why do you feel unable to share it?
Because life is too short to spend it arguing with closed minded re-moaners. :D
Animis opibusque parati
mystery

Post by mystery »

That's a curious attitude.

Thank you for the link. I have read that material before. It helped a little. I will read it again.

(My mother in law is similarly huffy about all things under the sun so it does not phase me. :D )

I can see that it might not affect our trade with countries outside the eu if similar terms could be continued once we have left.

But our exports to eu countries ( and it's currently about half our exports) will be subject to import taxes on arrival in the eu. Won't that make us less competitive or is the argument that with our devalued pound it will all come out in the wash?

But if I were a multinational with the choice it would make more sense to pull out of the uk and produce and sell in the eu to avoid the trade barriers. Does lawyers for Britain cover the effects on eu demand for post brexit uk goods and services?
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

SunlampVexesEel wrote:mystery wrote:
and why do you feel unable to share it?
SVE-'Because life is too short to spend it arguing with closed minded re-moaners.'
Why the contempt? You chose out of your free will to contribute to Mystery's thread now you cannot be bothered to answer a perfectly legitimate question posed by Mystery given the fact you are the only person that I'm aware of being '100% informed'-who else should we ask, if not you?

We, the ill informed and stupid,would like to be enlightened by your superior prior knowledge because we, unlike your goodself, don't have years to reach enlightenment so when did you receive your prophetic revelations and which cave?
mystery

Post by mystery »

I am enjoying reading the comments at the end of some news articles in the online newspapers.

This one is my favourite so far:

"More gloom and doom from the Remainiacs.

I advocate a Hard Brexit... and I advocate it now. Brexit won, so you Remainiacs had better get used to it.

We don't need these banks. We don't need these City firms. We don't need accountancy firms, insurance commpanies, advertising companies, pharmacy companies, media companies, tech companies, fintech companies. They can all go to **** in a handcart or, worse, smelly old France with its smelly cheese.

I say: if the City of London becomes a deserted concrete wasteland, blowing with tumblweed, inhabited only by steam punk cyber motorcyclists à la Mad Max, so be it. In the daytime we can grow vegetables, like they do in Detroit, and the evenings we can gather in neighbourhood defence groups in our freezing cold homes and sing patriotic songs to keep out the steaming gangs of unemployed youth who will, of course, then not have the right to go and work in any other country on the planet.

And if you are so lily-livered as to object to that prospect I have two things to say:
1) get used to it and
2) go and live somewhere else if you ... Oh, you won't be able to. Well there's always suicide.

Altogether now: Always look on the Bright Si-ide of Life... ."
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Concerning Boris Johnson, have you read what Guy Verhofstadt has written about him?
http://uk.businessinsider.com/brexit-eu ... may-2016-9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(please, see his post on facebook in this article)

Another excert of the article:
'Wolfgang Schauble, Germany's finance minister, said last week Johnson doesn't understand how the 28-nation bloc works and needed to read a copy of the Lisbon Treaty.'
mystery

Post by mystery »

Ha ha, yes. I liked this account of the baloney statement:

Germany and France brushed aside comments from Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson suggesting there was no link between the EU's principle of free movement and access to its single market, saying they could send Johnson a copy of the Lisbon Treaty and even travel to London to explain it to him in English.

Johnson, a leading Brexit advocate who is known for his colourful language, told Sky News television on Thursday that the EU's position that there was an automatic trade-off between what access to the single market and free movement was "complete baloney."

Asked about the remarks at a news conference in Berlin, German Finance Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble and his French counterpart Michel Sapin shot glances at each other before the German host responded.

"We just looked at each other because we're used to respecting foreign ministers a lot," Schaeuble said.

"If we need to do more, we will gladly send her majesty's foreign minister a copy of the Lisbon Treaty. Then he can read that there is a certain link between the single market and the four core principles in Europe," he added.

"I can also say it in English. So if clarification is necessary we can pay a visit and explain this to him in good English," Schaeuble said.

Sapin, in a French twist on Johnson's "baloney" jibe, said: "There are four freedoms and they cannot be separated. So if we want to make good European paté then there are four freedoms that together make up the paté in question."

(Reporting by Noah Barkin)