Should chimpanzees have the same legal rights as homosapiens

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

quasimodo

Should chimpanzees have the same legal rights as homosapiens

Post by quasimodo »

We share above 98 % of our DNA with our closest relatives in the animal kingdom. Interesting developments across the pond.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-32396497" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
quasimodo

Re: Should chimpanzees have the same legal rights as homosap

Post by quasimodo »

Another interesting article on the same subject
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6505691.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Another thought provoking link to an article in the daily mail today.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... think.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Abraham Lincoln
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I wouldn't get too excited yet.

http://nypost.com/2015/04/21/judge-reve ... impanzees/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

It seems there is a lot of monkey business going on here!!!

Abraham Lincoln
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

sounds like a university interview question that some demented Don would ask
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Catseye wrote:sounds like a university interview question that some demented Don would ask
I am astounded I would have thought catseye would have sided with her brethren in the animal kingdom!!! :D

Abraham Lincoln
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

quasimodo wrote:
Catseye wrote:sounds like a university interview question that some demented Don would ask
I am astounded I would have thought catseye would have sided with her brethren in the animal kingdom!!! :D
the answer is implicit in the question

The Chimpanzee

Suborder: Haplorrhini
Infraorder: Simiiformes
Superfamily: Hominoidea
Family: Hominidae
Genus: Pan
Species: P. troglodytes
Subspecies: P. t. schweinfurthii, P. t. troglodytes, P. t. vellerosus, P. t. verus

homosapiens - sapien

no Subspecies , all are equal ( and no, some are not more equal than others)

in law we can only be compared with what is reasonable compared to our peers.

Infanticide is common in Chim society but could we prosecute them self evidently not because they have insufficient mental capacity to know what they have done.

with legal rights comes responsibilities, it would be unfair and unreasonable to expect a Chim to have human understanding of the theory of mind .

if we start down this road where will it end ,alternatively we could convert into being Jains ?

I could go on and on but I would only bore you.

Q.E.D
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

https://www.thedodo.com/community/LoriG ... 91626.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

An interesting article which has a contrary view about animals having rights.(Not the same as having the same legal rights as humans).

In the USA on average most years about 450 people are charged with killing their children.In every country this happens.Some will argue they lack the relevant mental capacity.Similarly when children kill other humans depending on their ages and laws in each country children will not be charged as lacking the mental capacity.

It would be interesting to have a window on the future and look back in 200,000 years time from the perspective of the dominant species to see what rights they would give to us compared to them even it is from what has evolved from us.

Abraham Lincoln
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

First world problem.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now