commute from Hatfield to Canary wharf

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
i-mum

commute from Hatfield to Canary wharf

Post by i-mum »

We are thinking of moving to Hatfield and wondering how is commute from Hatfield to Canary Wharf? On National Rail it shows just over an hour, but can I really trust it? My main concern is Great Northern line. Is it reliable or not?
Daogroupie

Re: commute from Hatfield to Canary wharf

Post by Daogroupie »

Great Northern Line is very reliable. My dds have used it twice a day for over six years to get to school and it very rarely lets them down. Only once in that time did it fail them completely and that was when one of the stations was struck by lightning.

Hatfield is up and coming. I predict house prices will increase above the national average as it has so much going for it. Great shopping (Hatfield Galleria), Great motorways A1M and M25, good primary schools, easy commute to QE and DAO and excellent commute into Finsbury Park where a spiral staircase leads you to Victoria and Piccadilly lines stay on the train to Kings Cross with a plethora or buses and tube lines or Moorgate, one short escalator to the Northern line. Two different overground train services, one going to Moorgate and one to Kings Cross.

Brand new station with number recognition car park, so no returning to the car with tickets and £2.50 all day on Saturday and Sunday for day trips to London.

All considerably cheaper than the neighbouring towns of WGC, St Albans, Hertford Brookmans Park and Potters Bar.

Great local secondary for girls, Bishops, but one downside, co-ed underperforms and hard to get into local single sex boys schools.

For those who are prepared to work hard to get into QE or DAO it is great bang for buck! DG
i-mum

Post by i-mum »

Thank you very much DG. I have a son and no other kids so not concerned about local schools. DS has got score above cutoff so we are hoping if we put QE as first choice he has quite a chance to get an offer. He has also got similar score in another grammar and we are now looking at house prices and commute to decide the order of schools for filling CAF. Boy hasnt shown any preference over the schools.

I work in Canary wharf but not in a job that it is known for really. I looked at High Barnet itself but we could afford a terraced house with small garden or may be a semi which needs work whereas in Hatfield we will be able to get a semi or detached one with large garden. Main concern I have now is the commute.

Has anyone done a regular commute to say Moorgate from Hatfield to give an idea how is it? Trying to judge if I can take it for the sake of house and garden.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I live in Potters Bar and there are hundreds of people doing the Moorgate commute from Potters Bar, Hatfield, WGC and further. I think it is very do-able (I don't personally commute daily but occasionally need to go into London at rush hour). The train to Moorgate is relatively fast and seems to work well. We have had issues with cancellations in the evenings (going into London) but I think if you are going the right way at the right times (ie into town in the morning and out in the evening) it seems pretty good. TfL has been very accurate for us using that rail line and then the tube. It's nice and quick from the train to the tube at Moorgate too without a horrendous walk. The other weekend we went from PB to the Docklands - rail then Northern Line then DLR and it was very easy... (Where are you commuting from currently?)
i-mum

Post by i-mum »

Thank you. This is reassuring. There are occasional delays everywhere. As long as it isnt a daily thing I would be happy. Currently I use southwest train to Waterloo and then Jubilee line to Canary Wharf. My door to office Commute is 1hr 10-15 mins.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now