History of Art A Level - the death knell.

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

piggys

History of Art A Level - the death knell.

Post by piggys »

I just read a tragic article in the Guardian explaining that from 2018 there will be no more History of Art A level. AQA - the only board still offering it - will be discontinuing after 2018. :(

Things like this really break my heart. I never did this particular A level but the fact of its disappearance makes me so sad for our children.
JaneEyre

Re: History of Art A Level - the death knell.

Post by JaneEyre »

Creative writing is also disappearing from 2018 and this is also a loss. :( I am in close contact with a class of 17 years old creative writers and they are working so hard and are so interested in what they do. It is a joy to see how they rise up to the challenges they are given and how they share their passion for books. :D One of the girl does amaze me with her very vast reading and the words she uses in her writing. :D
Due to the colossal amount of reading and writing needed , the teacher (who also teachers A level literature) is convinced this is a harder A level than literature – which is itself considered a strong A level.
So the death knell has also sounded for this qualification. :(
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

If you look at the timeline of reforms threads I posted you will see the other lost subjects.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

piggys wrote:I just read a tragic article in the Guardian explaining that from 2018 there will be no more History of Art A level. AQA - the only board still offering it - will be discontinuing after 2018. :(

Things like this really break my heart. I never did this particular A level but the fact of its disappearance makes me so sad for our children.
There is a petition asking for the History of Art A level not to disappear:
https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/ ... el-subject" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
piggys

Post by piggys »

Thanks JaneEyre. I hadn't realised that it was that complete bar steward philistine Gove who asked AQA to discontinue the A level. I t doesn't surprise me at all.
Very sad to hear about your creative writing students; I'm afraid that is the way things are going now.....creativity and imagination is being sacrificed at the altar of practicality and 'factual' subjects. Thomas Gradgrind would be proud. :(
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

piggys wrote:Thanks JaneEyre. I hadn't realised that it was that complete bar steward philistine Gove who asked AQA to discontinue the A level. I t doesn't surprise me at all.
Very sad to hear about your creative writing students; I'm afraid that is the way things are going now.....creativity and imagination is being sacrificed at the altar of practicality and 'factual' subjects. Thomas Gradgrind would be proud. :(
" bar steward" love it :lol:
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

At £9000 per year it maths and triple science all the way-the economy gets what the economy wants :roll: :roll:

Bretix compounds the situation.

Tragic.
piggys

Post by piggys »

It was the only way of circumventing the mods, quasi :wink: