More from Justine Greening

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Eccentric

More from Justine Greening

Post by Eccentric »

Another BBC article about Justine Greenings views

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-39584000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tiffinboys

Re: More from Justine Greening

Post by tiffinboys »

Also from BBC re impact of grammar schools.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-37800098" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

I think that there is little doubt that GS's are good for those who get selected to go to them. It is the ones who don't get selected that get the raw deal.

Perhaps we should have a two tier health service too. Thos who meet a particular fitness test would receive a higher quality health care and those who don't would just receive the bog standard inadequate one. :D
mad?

Post by mad? »

Eccentric wrote:Perhaps we should have a two tier health service too. Those who meet a particular fitness test would receive a higher quality health care and those who don't would just receive the bog standard inadequate one. :D
Great point Eccentric. That, in essence, is what is being proposed. The grammar system has suited my DC (in that they qualified) but a system designed to address the needs of a certain section of the population, arguably those the least in need, is abhorrent. When I see people arguing ad infinitum for more secondary moderns then their argument may hold more weight. As for the 'hard working families' nonsense (how did Ed Milliband let the Tories capture that?), grammar schools available to all hard working families, woohoo! So 90% of children in grammar schools and the 10%(?) from families who are not 'hard working' somewhere else? Selection on the basis of how hard you parents work?
Actually I feel sorry for Justine Greening, a proud champion of comprehensive education sacrificing her principles to go along with the 70s May dogma on the altar of her career. Seen it before though eh?
mad?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Do all children have same needs?

I have said time and again, that needs of children of all abilities need to be taken care off. The bright children need not be sacrificed for not so able, and like vice. Looks like this part is most difficult for ideologically anti-grammars to understand.

Clearly different issues are mixed up and making it too emotive by trying to describe as two tier NHS.
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

So TB if a bright child is relegated to a school that caters for children of average ability because they do not pass the 11+ and the school as it would, assumes that all of the bright children have been sent to GS so the school only teaches to allow the young people at that school to receive level 4's or 5's. How is that bright child going to do in their lives considering that they have been told via the exam that they are not worthy of a higher level education and the school will not offer that higher level education.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Are you imagining that there are grammar schools in all the regions?
Most bright children in the country are going to normal schools and there are reports that they are being failed in achieving their potentials. For links to these reports, please look through my earlier posts.

And no body has been told that they are not worthy of higher education. That is figment of left leaning and dead left wingers philosophy. Bring every one down to lowest common denominator.
Last edited by tiffinboys on Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Please do repost those links, TB. I'd be really interested in your links to current research that shows those children who are bright and not having access to GS in their areas are being failed.

Current reports, mind, of the recent generations, not stuff from MPs 30 years ago....I think we would all like to see these links that you refer to as we haven't seen them, yet you keep referring to them. Genuinely I am trying to understand why you so passionately believe what you say...you haven't shown evidence in anything you have posted so I feel I have missed the links to which you are referring so please do post them so that I, and others can try and understand you.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Afraid you would have to do some searching, KCG. And yes, these are current reports. Not PISA 2000 or so.

If I find time later, will repost the thread for you.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/educa ... 56266.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its from 4 years ago who knows the picture may have changed!

I haven't delved too deeply.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln