Car insurance

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

saram

Car insurance

Post by saram »

Can anyone offer any advice please. Our DS has turned 17, we have bought a little car for us all to drive, and I am now looking to purchase insurance. My question is whether there is any advantage in putting the insurance in DS's name whilst he is a learner? I will probably drive the car most. Any help with this minefield would be very gratefully received!
scary mum

Re: Car insurance

Post by scary mum »

saram wrote:Can anyone offer any advice please. Our DS has turned 17, we have bought a little car for us all to drive, and I am now looking to purchase insurance. My question is whether there is any advantage in putting the insurance in DS's name whilst he is a learner? I will probably drive the car most. Any help with this minefield would be very gratefully received!
There is at least one other thread about this, if you look further down this topic. This is the one I remember:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 38&t=43660" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

When DS was learning we used Provisional Marmalade to add him to our car insurance. This was useful because we could take it in monthly 'chunks' depending on whether he thought he would have time to practise regularly.

Another benefit is, if he had had an accident, it wouldn't have affected our insurance at all.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Guest55 wrote:When DS was learning we used Provisional Marmalade to add him to our car insurance. This was useful because we could take it in monthly 'chunks' depending on whether he thought he would have time to practise regularly.

Another benefit is, if he had had an accident, it wouldn't have affected our insurance at all.
Yes, we used the same.
scary mum
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

saram wrote:Can anyone offer any advice please. Our DS has turned 17, we have bought a little car for us all to drive, and I am now looking to purchase insurance. My question is whether there is any advantage in putting the insurance in DS's name whilst he is a learner? I will probably drive the car most. Any help with this minefield would be very gratefully received!
Whoever is actually the main driver must be the person named on the insurance policy as the main driver.

Usually the issue comes up the other way round, i.e.a lower risk driver putting themselves down as the main driver, when in fact, the 'higher risk' user the car most, in which case it is definitely illegal (known as 'fronting': see http://www.moneysupermarket.com/c/news/ ... r/0036917/).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
KB

Post by KB »

As well as the previous thread ( mentioned above) it's worth reading the Martin Lewis web site on this - masses of advice.
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

We have always put the insurance straight into DC's name as soon as possible. My logic being that insurance is much less expensive for a youngster as a provisional licence holder, and the sooner they hold their own insurance the sooner they will earn their own no claims bonus. With a bit of luck they might have two years' no claims bonus under their belt before they pass the test and the insurance becomes expensive :) . (Although I should add that this logic backfired for my sister, when one of her daughters wrote the car off after just three months).

NB for some strange reason vehicle insurance seems to cost less if a parent is added as a named driver. Also DS2 found that using one of the price comparison websites enabled him to find a much more reasonable insurance quote.
Loopy
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

A colleague of mine told me that for family reasons, he had to be added to his younger brother's car insurance temporarily as a named driver. Because he was older and had a good NCD, it actually lowered his brother's premium, so his brother left him on, even thought in all likelihood he wouldn't need to drive the car again.

So sticking a parent as a named driver will probably have the same effect.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Tinkers wrote:A colleague of mine told me that for family reasons, he had to be added to his younger brother's car insurance temporarily as a named driver. Because he was older and had a good NCD, it actually lowered his brother's premium, so his brother left him on, even thought in all likelihood he wouldn't need to drive the car again.

So sticking a parent as a named driver will probably have the same effect.
Yes, it does. Although, bizarrely, adding a second parent increased it (maybe it was my accident record/points :oops: :oops: )
scary mum