How to change to 2 option if qualified for 1st Option

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ratabc123

How to change to 2 option if qualified for 1st Option

Post by ratabc123 »

My DD has good score in Nosuch Grammar and in Band A in Henrietta Barnet school. I have selected Henrietta Barnet as option 1 but I am thinking to go for Nonsuch. It looks like she will get the option 1, Henrietta Barnet. Is there any option for me to opt for Nonsuch. I called the LA to change the option but they told my application will be considered as late application.
My friend told me I can keep her in Nonsuch waiting list and she will get as she has good score. Please advise.
Tinkers

Re: How to change to 2 option if qualified for 1st Option

Post by Tinkers »

The LA are correct that it will be treated as a late application, meaning you will not get either school in all likelihood on the 1st March.

Is this a change of heart? The standard advice from LAs and on here is to put the schools in your genuine order of preference. So if Nonsuch was your first choice originally, you should have put it first.

I suspect you should be able to put her on the waiting list after allocation day, but I'd advise that you accept the place at HBS in the meantime should you get offered it on 1st march.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Have you changed your mind about wanting to move house? The schools are such a long way apart, I assume that getting a place at one if not either would mean uprooting the family?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

She will get HBS. Band A is designed so that everyone who is going to get HBS if they put it first will get it.

What has made you change your mind? It is only a week since the deadline.

You will not get Nonsuch. You will have to turn down HBS before they will let you go on the waiting list for Nonsuch and then you are at the mercy of others turning down Nonsuch.

Every year for the past ten years I have known of a family who has done this. It takes a long time for fix.

You need to ask your council to write to you outlining the steps you need to take. DG
ratabc123

Post by ratabc123 »

Daogroupie wrote:She will get HBS. Band A is designed so that everyone who is going to get HBS if they put it first will get it.

What has made you change your mind? It is only a week since the deadline.

You will not get Nonsuch. You will have to turn down HBS before they will let you go on the waiting list for Nonsuch and then you are at the mercy of others turning down Nonsuch.

Every year for the past ten years I have known of a family who has done this. It takes a long time for fix.

You need to ask your council to write to you outlining the steps you need to take. DG
Thanks all, If I accept the HBS, can I still keep my daughter name in nonsuch waiting list.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

It won't happen automatically, as they will assume that since you got your highest preference that was the school you wanted most and don't want any of the schools Lower on your CAF.

You may be able to ask to go onto the waiting list after allocations day.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Tinkers wrote:It won't happen automatically, as they will assume that since you got your highest preference that was the school you wanted most and don't want any of the schools Lower on your CAF.

You need to check exactly how your LA handles this - I had a quick look at a couple of random LAs and one definitely says that in order to 'reactivate' an application to a lower preference school after your initial allocation, you have to submit a whole new CAF, which overrides your original application (not specifically saying, so you lose the place that you have been allocated in the meantime, but I wasn't sure whether or not that was implied ).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
ratabc123

Post by ratabc123 »

ToadMum wrote:
Tinkers wrote:It won't happen automatically, as they will assume that since you got your highest preference that was the school you wanted most and don't want any of the schools Lower on your CAF.

You need to check exactly how your LA handles this - I had a quick look at a couple of random LAs and one definitely says that in order to 'reactivate' an application to a lower preference school after your initial allocation, you have to submit a whole new CAF, which overrides your original application (not specifically saying, so you lose the place that you have been allocated in the meantime, but I wasn't sure whether or not that was implied ).
Thanks, I am from Sutton, Surrey LA. Not sure about Sutton how sutton handles it.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

You need to find out how Sutton handles it. Our LA will not let you be on the waiting list for any schools you placed as a lower preference.

So you would have to turn down HBS in order to go on waiting list for Nonsuch.

As I said previously you need to contact Sutton and ask them to write to you outlining the steps you need to take. DG
daddyshah

Post by daddyshah »

Hi Ratabc 123,

I hope this message finds you well. Apologies for the late reply, I came across your post by accident. I was keen to touchbase with you regarding putting HBS as first choice and wondered what your plans were for your DD?

We live in Croydon (near East Croydon station) and have also put HBS down as our first choice. To be honest we loved HBS. We loved that it is a smaller school compared to the schools in Sutton and Orpington, the destinations of the pupils were impressive and the alumni is made up of some industry leaders. Our daughter also loved it. She was fortunate enough to go to a one form entry State maintained primary school and finds big schools with lots of pupils overwhelming.
We are looking at properties in North London but also considering back up options in case we are not able to complete the purchase in time. What are you planning? Are you still planning on changing your preference?