Where can I complain?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
loredana

Where can I complain?

Post by loredana »

Hi,
Does anyone know where or how can I complain about the appaling quality of a service provided by a tuition centre? I google it but no relevant matches were returned.
As an example, a whole hour was wasted to write the numbers from zero to 100 (in words) and this was 2 weeks before the NVR exam! Not to mention that the following lesson AFTER the NVR the tutor practiced some NVR questions! When my son told him that they sat the NVR the previous week he was ignored.
I complained with the centre manager but all she could say was that my son was a nisance (he was indeed chating with another bored boy) and that her staff is blameless! As a result he was given as homework the great task of writing 200 times 10-12 words.
I ended his misery last week but personaly I'm still angry and frustrated about a complete waste of money and most of all, time.
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

I think as with any complaint you need to start with the organisation itself. I would write to whoever owns it and anyone also in charge of it. Set down factually everything you consider was wrong with it.

If you are hoping as a result of your complaint for some kind of refund then state in your letter how much you paid, what you think the service was actually worth and how you have calculated this, and request your refund.

Are they affiliated to any other organisation you can also complain to?

As by the sounds of it, your son stayed until the end of the course, and you did not make any complaints until towards the very end, it is harder to make a successful claim for a refund as you did not give them an opportunity to rectify the service. Also, your son stayed until the end so in a way you "accepted" the unsatisfactory service.

But good luck!! As these places presumably rely on local reputation and word of mouth you may find that they are keen to please you and also improve the service for others. It could be they hired a rubbish tutor and need to know.

Good luck.
KES Parent

Re: Where can I complain?

Post by KES Parent »

loredana wrote:Hi,
Does anyone know where or how can I complain about the appaling quality of a service provided by a tuition centre? I google it but no relevant matches were returned.
As an example, a whole hour was wasted to write the numbers from zero to 100 (in words) and this was 2 weeks before the NVR exam! Not to mention that the following lesson AFTER the NVR the tutor practiced some NVR questions! When my son told him that they sat the NVR the previous week he was ignored.
I complained with the centre manager but all she could say was that my son was a nisance (he was indeed chating with another bored boy) and that her staff is blameless! As a result he was given as homework the great task of writing 200 times 10-12 words.
I ended his misery last week but personaly I'm still angry and frustrated about a complete waste of money and most of all, time.
If this institution was purporting to tutor children for the 11+, I would think your local Trading Standards might be a good place to start. Tutoring agencies are not monitored by any professional bodies, as far as I know, but there is legislation to prevent anyone lying to you about the service they are providing and taking money off you. The more evidence you have of what your son was being "taught" the better, and if you know any other parents who are dissatisfied recruit them as well. If they're not dissatisfied now, it sounds like they will be when the results come out!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now