Put Downs from Teachers

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
scatshouse

Post by scatshouse »

Katel wrote:
Is it possible that something like this may have happened in some of your schools?
Katel,

Something like this definitely hadn't happened in my son's school because it was weeks before we knew the results and my son wasn't at all confident of his success. In fact he had not been mentioning the 11+ at all in school because he was fed up with being called a geek! so was keeping a low profile.

Since we now know the results I have passed the teacher concerned in the corridor and the looks she gave me, a parent not a pupil!, were withering to say the least. Even I'm scared of her :shock: . Can't wait for my son to leave now.

Even since the results the 11+ has still not been mentioned in his school.
laid back son worried mum

Post by laid back son worried mum »

Hi, scatshouse,
Since we now know the results I have passed the teacher concerned in the corridor and the looks she gave me, a parent not a pupil!, were withering to say the least. Even I'm scared of her . Can't wait for my son to leave now.
I am not sitting on the fence(it's pretty uncomfortable).

Just wanted to let you know...

We have known some horrible teachers and some very nice,dedicated and caring ones, some horrible, rude parents/children and some delightful families/kids.

In the middle of it a11,we have to teach our young children to discern and reject bad behaviour ,whether from adults or children, and to be assertive and stand for their rights to be treated fairly whilst treating others with respect in return.

Add to the mix that no one (teacher/school/system/parent/child)appreciates being criticised,it is sometimes a truly uphi11 struggle to teach and learn this le55on.

I have been intimidated by the thought of complaining to school and rocking the boat many times. One has to be very lucky to have a teacher/Headteacher who is receptive to concerns that have worried a parent/child and who is wi11ing to act upon those concerns without prejudice.

So many times, egos and emotions get in the way and the solution is far from being perfect.

Someone always leaves with a bad taste in their mouth,
especia11y when you feel that the only option is to sit it out..
Mum42

Put downs from teachers

Post by Mum42 »

Thanks to everyone for your words of wisdom.

Solimum, I agree that we need to be cautious about taking her out of school, and we are certainly balancing the things that are supposed to be good about the final term at primary school (spending time with friends, post-SATS trips, etc) against the truly dreadful time she is having now.

It gets worse every day, with more bullying (for want of a better word) from her teacher today, threatening her with the worst report anyone in the school has ever had. We've put a call into the grammar school to check whether an absence of SATS would cause them any difficulties. Fingers crossed!
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Mum 42 - if I thought a child of mine had been threatened with receiving the worst report in the school I'd be camping outside the HT's office - now - insisting that something be done. This is truly outrageous and you must be careful it doesn't do your daughter long-term damage. It's the teacher that should be removed from the school, not your daughter.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Mum42,

This threat should be reported - it is not acceptable.
Mum42

Put downs by teachers

Post by Mum42 »

Bexley Mum 2, Guest 55, I quite agree - in theory. The trouble is that the teacher in question is also the deputy head, trained with the head teacher and they are as thick as thieves. I used to be a governor of the school (I resigned in disgust over this, actually, at a much earlier stage in the proceedings, and without explaining why, because I wanted to avoid any backlash). I don't think even a complaint to the chair of governors will result in anything other than closing ranks and more trouble for our daughter.

We also have another daughter at the school, who is potentially a bit of a hostage in all this, untill we manage to find a new school for her.
Mum42

Put downs from teachers

Post by Mum42 »

Just to draw our experience of put downs from teachers to a close, we have now been told by the grammar school that they aren't at all worried if our daughter doesn't do SATS and support our desire to educate her at home next term. What's more, the county council home education service have been really helpful and encouraging. Their attitude was "more fool the primary school for allowing this to happen".

So ultimately, this has been a positive experience. Our daughter is back to her old happy, confident self. HE here we come!
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

What about your other DD? Will you move her or hope she doesn't come across the same problem/teacher?
Mum42

Put downs from teachers

Post by Mum42 »

Medwaymum, she's only in year 1, so she doesn't really see the problem teacher much. We're moving to be nearer the grammar school, so (housing market permitting) she'll only have another term there too.

Also, KS1 really isn't bad at that school - year 3 was when it all started to go wrong.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

What a great result, Mum42. I am really pleased for you - and you get to have quality time with your daughter before she starts the next phase of her life! :mrgreen: