Schools and relationships

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
katel

Post by katel »

Hang on, I thought you were talking about middle class" friends being better - now it's "rich" friends are better!

I tink I would stop digging if I were you!
pooodle

Post by pooodle »

katel , when did i use the word rich? - do you have to be rich to go to scouts or hockey ???

All of the kids at my "middle class" school do lots of stuff extra curricular - how do i know? because they write a diary every monday during tutor time and I read about it - mostly green with envy i have to say.
pooodle

Post by pooodle »

I actually believe my brother would be alive now if he had better friends - next door neighbours - dad was a burglar, sons and my brother same age and therfore friends - he was easily led and did lots of dope - was hit by train in morning working on railway, i think because he was still drowsey from night before. im not saying middle class dont do drugs, just that this kind of culture is more prevalent in lowe class families - well it was where i lived.

and his friend - the neighbour, was stabbed to death outside a nightclub afer a brawl 2 years later.

so yes, i do think it is important to foster "decent" friendships. i am not saying that all working class get up to no good, but the vast majority of the kids on the streets at night in their baseball caps are from council estates - and maybe not because the parents allow it but because kids have been led astray by the majority.
scatshouse

Post by scatshouse »

I keep reading this thread and am still left wondering what anybody is trying to say. Some of the comments are also annoying me.

I live on a council estate (moved here from a women's refuge). In our road alone, out of twelve children in the road of high school age, six, yes six! attend grammar schools including my daughter, 50% anywhere in the country is good going in my book, let alone out of one road. Hopefully by next week my son will make it seven out of fourteen.

All of the children mix, attending football, disco's, drama etc. or even just playing in the street.

The only difference between them is the schools they attend, which, by the way, is never an issue when they are all back home.

My daughter also mixes well with 'middle class' friends from her (grammar) school and they mix well with all the children here. There's never been any comparison of 'different class'.
loulou

Post by loulou »

I would say that this topic is now seriously off thread and should probably stop now.
my name is LBaFBSWaBotNM and I DO NOT have a problem
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I agree. This was a really fascinating thread to read and a very interesting question to answer. It is a shame that it is now off topic.
pooodle

Post by pooodle »

>>I live on a council estate (moved here from a women's refuge). In our road alone, out of twelve children in the road of high school age, six, yes six! attend grammar schools including my daughter, 50% anywhere in the country is good going in my book, let alone out of one road. Hopefully by next week my son will make it seven out of fourteen.

"Government figures show only 15% of white working class boys in England got five good GCSEs including maths and English last year.
Among white boys from more affluent homes - 45% achieved that level of qualification" so i would say you are the exception not the norm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7220683.stm

also
"Only 176, or just over half a percent, of the nearly 30,000 pupils who got three As at A-level last year were eligible for free meals, according to figures which show that household income is the biggest single predictor of a child's academic success"
http://education.guardian.co.uk/schools ... 34,00.html

>>All of the children mix, attending football, disco's, drama etc. or even just playing in the street. My daughter also mixes well with 'middle class' friends from her (grammar) school and they mix well with all the children here. There's never been any comparison of 'different class'.

"But the study found that far from encouraging social mixing, most children stuck with their middle class friends." again, the evidence is that your findings are the exception rather than the norm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7220683.stm

im not saying that it is not possible to achieve, but that there is a very low achievement rate
scatshouse

Post by scatshouse »

so i would say you are the exception not the norm
again, the evidence is that your findings are the exception rather than the norm
Maybe it's something in the water round here then, has anybody done a study on that?

There's a house for sale over the road (ex council), does anybody want to come and test the water? Maybe we could make it 8 out of 14 kids in grammar!!
pooodle

Post by pooodle »

>>Maybe it's something in the water round here then, has anybody done a study on that?

im sure they would be very interested in your water

>>There's a house for sale over the road, does anybody want to come and test the water? Maybe we could make it 8 out of 14 kids in grammar!!

I am very pleased that you have such a high number making it in, I wish it was the case all over the country but it isnt.

"He found that only 2 per cent of grammar schools pupils are on free school meals (FSM), even though FSM children make up 12 to 14 per cent of the school population in their areas"
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_a ... 910600.ece
chad

Post by chad »

I have moved these posts into their own thread as they do not relate to the original 'backup' thread.

Apologies if anyone got lost on the way.... :oops:

regards

Chad (Moderator)
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/748/748895c3fyugpiju.gif[/img]
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now