What to buy as a 'YOU DID WELL' present...?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Y

Post by Y »

I think a lot of (most?) kids get **something** when the results come out - it's lovely to have a little gift to open at least, and it can act as consolation or congratulation. I bought my child just a very childish present for under a tenner, before we opened the results. We joked about my 'meanness' in contrast to her friend who got an expensive mobile phone!
chewy

Post by chewy »

We will buy a present, I have been thinking along the line of a ds or wii game. We always buy presents to reward good reports and I know he has tried his best and also if he doesnt get in atleast it can take his mind off not getting 1st choice.

We will also be going out to for meal. I just hope I will be able to eat that all depends on the letter.
normalmum@mo

Post by normalmum@mo »

We brought a pressie (Wii game) after DD did exams for working so hard.

Am not planning to buy a pressie for results day, my plan is to try to play down the whole thing, deal with whatever the outcome is, and move on to the next chapter of her life.

However, may treat myself to a bottle...I mean, glass of wine!!!
tense

Post by tense »

We went down the "reward the effort not the results" route. We bought our DD a silver necklace & matching earrings with stars on, & told her that, whatever the outcome, we were proud of her & that she was a star to us!

There are so few academic places available at the Herts schools (where we live) that I am not overly optimistic about her chances next week. But I truely believe my DD will thrive wherever she goes.

There will, however, be chocolate available in unlimited quantities next Monday; whatever the outcome!

x
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

We too rewarded the effort rather than the result and gave DS a laptop after his last exam. The thinking was that he could use it for homework etc once at secondary school. He is doing his Yr6 project on it at the moment. It was a bit of a 'bigger' present that we had originally thought of but he worked so hard and didn't complain so we thought he deserved it.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

That sounds like a really great, sensible present Dawn as, although expensive, it is useful for schoolwork. We cannot do that though as he has to have a laptop for school within the next two years and it has to be of a certain spec, so I'd rather wait and get the latest technology at the time.
I just wish I could find the perfect, not too frivalous present. Maybe a go karting session...he loves that!!
reddebs

Post by reddebs »

Our dd sat 2 tests as we sit on the kent medway border. The 1st in november resulted in a quick meal and a night at the fireworks, she was shattered and just lay on the grass watching them - seemed quite appropriate really. The 2nd in January was celebrated with a London Show for the whole family selected by her - thankfully a good choice of We Will Rock You followed by a pizza meal. As for the results the 1st test was a pass and was celebrated with a dance around the living room and the 2nd not yet received but will be celebrated in a similar style whatever the result!
Good luck to all those still waiting,
reddebs
fingerscrossed

Post by fingerscrossed »

When DD heard that she had achieved her first choice two years ago, we went out for a family meal at the local chinese buffet. The children were all very excited so this turned out to be ideal - anything more civilised may have been a disaster! It wasn't only in celebration of her success, but also a treat for both long suffering brothers who had really heard enough of grammar schools, allocation day and waiting lists by then!!

So, feeling that a precedent has been set, DS asked whether we could do the same this year. I tentatively suggested that it depends on the result, trying to tread carefully, but not undermine the reason for last time - and to my relief, DD said that we should go anyway, regardless of result, because if he dosn't get the school he wants, it will cheer us all up - and none of them want to miss an opportunity for a meal out! So that's settled then.......
zorro

Presents

Post by zorro »

We went out for a family meal the day we received the offer letter. I don't think presents are necessary. Firstly it's not fair on siblings and secondly we are going to need all our money for school fees! Not to mention uniform which will cost an arm and a leg!!
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I agree with you there, Zorro!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now