Do Boys Play Netball??

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scatshouse

Do Boys Play Netball??

Post by scatshouse »

Got two letters this week, one to say my son has been chosen to play in a football tournament, the other to say he has been chosen to play in a netball tournament.

His face was a picture, and I'm afraid I couldn't help but laugh. Are there any other boys out there playing netball or is he one of the only ones taking part in this "Gender Balancing" the schools have to do as part of the new 'anti-discrimination legislation'?

He is going to do it, but it was a close call as to whether an afternoon off school was worth losing some of his 'street cred' :lol:
laid back son worried mum

Post by laid back son worried mum »

my kiddos' primary had a netba11 team and it was mainly the girls who wanted a place on the team.

One boy decided to go for it as he was always not picked for footba11.

Fancy footwork, ba11 ski11s that require 'handling the ba11 rather than heading and chesting', dexterity, agility, like basketba11 but different and you get to impre55 the ladies in your team and the other school! :lol: :lol:

He always had a po55e of girls giggling when he shows up and he was good!! (at netba11)
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

hi Scatshouse
My sons school has a mixed netball team ,he was asked to play but his answer was "no,netball is for girls" it didn't involve time off school when he was asked but I don't think he would have anyway! there are other year 6 boys that play though so obviously they are out there!
When asked to be at school at 8am to play hockey he didn't hesitate so obviously thats considered ok!
I'm sure if he has mates playing his street cred will be fine!
Pensby :lol:
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

My son loved netball at primary and was in teh team (daughter in rugby team!)
I've taught it to mixed junior classes as part of teh PE curriculum, generally boys find having to stop and just pivot with the ball quite difficult especially if they have been playing basketball too.

My son reckons netball requires more skill.

He is now in Year 10 and played netball last term at his all boys school.
jellywobble

Post by jellywobble »

Is it actually described as "Netball"

Our local school has just taken up "High 5",
- which is a mixed-sex version of Netball, but with this trendier, and male-friendlier, name.
Road Runner

Melx

Post by Road Runner »

Hi there

Funny I was watching a game yesterday at my DD school and the oposing team had two boys in thier teams. Must admit I thought it was unusual although think its a good idea as afterall girls get top play football and rugby so why not.

Mel
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Sorry, slightly off topic,

Have seen three girls playing rugby at under 12 age group so far this season and they were very good, sadly rules state they can not play with boys next season, just in case they embarrass the boys? :D :D :D

stevew61
capers123

Post by capers123 »

One local school had 3 boys on their netball team recently.

Going back a few (many) years, at my grammar school, girls played hockey, boys played rugby. We all thought this unfair. The girls asked to play rugby but were told that it was too violent. The boys wanted to play hockey, but no reason was given for not doing it.

However, the staff didn't have control over us at lunchtimes... First came the Boys vs Girls rugby match for my class, then followed the hockey match a week later. Then the other classes in my year started on the same track...

Eventually the games staff gave up on us and let us go off on cross country rambles, canoeing on the local river, tobogganing down the local hill on tin trays from the canteen, whilst they stayed in their little staff room smoking themselves to an early grave.

The following year we organised a world record Daisy Chain - I still have the pictures of myself and a certain future BBC Dragons Den presenter holding up a length of linked daisies... We were taught to be independent thinkers, and even though half the staff didn't like the idea (they thought it silly), we got good TV & press coverage for the school (I've been on the front page of News of the World!), raised money for the Princes Jubilee Fund & a local museum and had great fun doing it. Good use of the school playing field - better than nasty aggressive sports.
Capers
laid back son worried mum

Post by laid back son worried mum »

Yes, but have you been on Page 3 of a certain rag? :lol: :lol: :lol:

OK, seriously off topic now.. sorry..it's a11ocation fever..very contagious..
(I've been on the front page of News of the World!),
feel free to zap me.. I need something to sober up.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Laid back son worried mum wrote: feel free to zap me.. I need something to sober up.
Sorry Folks, she went missing from Rehab earlier, and we've been out scouting for ages.

Lady Blue ...You've been spotted, Get back to the day job!! :wink:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now