Is tutoring essential? Discuss.

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
melinda

Post by melinda »

Dear Fatandfifty,
Just because you don't have O levels doesn't necessarily mean you don't have some intelligence.
You obviously have some brains as you have passed them to your kids (unless it is a throw back to grandparents and I am getting into deep gene pool science with this so won't go any further).

Anyway, well done to your offspring and they obviously coped well with exams and are bright.
Some kids (mine included) are bright, but need the help of a tutor to focus on the 11 plus exams contents (NVR and VR) which are really unlike the work they get in primary school (most primary schools).

I think anyone who wants to tutor should do. It hurts no one, it's your money and as long as you aren't putting too much pressure on your child it can only do them some good. Surely?
magwich

Post by magwich »

Tutoring is nothing new; I was lucky enough 37 years ago to have a father who had done some electrical work for a retired headmaster and who therefore gave my mother copies of the old 11+ papers. To begin with I got 85-90% but after doing dozens of the wretched things I reliably got 98-99% and therefore passed the exam. Nothing has changed in the intervening period. When my very able 10 year old did the exam in 2003 we were told not to let her practise any papers.Did we obey? Did we heck!?! She got 64% on the first paper and then did not drop below 94%.
I'm not sure that you need tutoring but you sure as H***need practice!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now