Big Brother is watching you...but should he?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
chad

Post by chad »

While I do see the reason behind Magwich's thinking I cannot agree with the generalisation.
A qualified doctor would have gone thru the same medical education and passed the same exams.... who is to say the 'best' one isn't an alcoholic and at that moment should not be treating anyone???

I do believe that the system has tried to shoehorn all children into mainstream schools without providing the resources to enable children with 'special needs' to achieve... without these resources some children with extra needs can become disruptive but there are also many disruptive children without special needs.

Their are some parents that have had to fight for their children to be given places in the dwindling sector of schools that cater for the needs of their children.

Extra time in exams for children with dyslexia is not giving them an advantage but ensuring that , as exams are in a written format, they have the time to show their knowledge.. They will most probably not look to progress in a field that has a great need for the written word but may excel in another field.

Having a son with mild aspergers (could be classed as a mental problem) I am very aware of the 'social' immaturity that goes with it...... but he is not a disruptive pupil.... and, with understanding from his teachers to some of his differences and a wonderful SENCO, is achieving extremely well in a mainstream grammar and not affecting the rest of the class.

No.... he won't be a doctor... he has not got the people skills (and doesn't like looking at blood :D ) but ....a research scientist, engineer, whatever he chooses he will have to tackle the same exams and situations as any other pupil.

Enabling all children to reach their full potential is obviously what we all should strive for...but it should not be to the detriment of other children in the classroom and the resources given to a school plays a major part in whether inclusive schooling actually works. :roll:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now