Thoughts re school trip - advice needed

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
katel

Post by katel »

But this is year 6 - in six months time they will be going all sorts of places on their own/with minimal supervision. And you said that a lot of the other mothers are going - it's mot like a whole coach load of 5 year olds and one mother to look after them, is it?

My year 7 girl went on a school trip to the Barbican a while ago - and they were allowed to go off in pairs to look round for 45 minutes.

I can understand that the school might get into trouble with the Authorities because it's a school day, but I really don't see any other problem. The OP said most other mums can go - my dd would just go and I would ask a friend's mum to keep an eye on her.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

We had something like this running for several years at my daughter's school.

It was always done at the end of term on a school day. It had to be based on what the kids had been learning that year. It was researched by parents and everything had to worked out and written down. It then had to go through the school for approval and the school took over - but in the nicest possible way!
The way it worked was the teachers were actually the ones in charge and the parents came along as school trip helpers. It worked well and ticked all the boxes!
solimum

Post by solimum »

I can understand that the school might get into trouble with the Authorities because it's a school day
...although as this is an independent school I imagine they can set their own school days/times anyway (judging by the long holidays...) - presumably this is something regularly organised for Year 6 leavers as an "extra" by parents and has become a tradition (rather like the "after-prom party" for Yr 11 at my children's comp, which a group of pupils/ parents run at an external venue, not an "official event" but the school allows publicity etc to come through them).

I agree with katel here. If you have no problem with the trip destination itself, you would be happy to let her go on the same trip "on a weekend" (or an INSET day? - perhaps the school uses this time for training for the Yr 6 teachers, or for new admissions/ open days?), and she has a friend whose mum would be happy to take responsibility for her, I think it would be a shame to let an obscure point of principle keep your daughter away from her friends at what is always an emotional time at the end of primary school...
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

I am not sure what I would do to be quite honest. However if it is so 'not a problem' why do all the children haveto be accompanied by a parent/guardian??

That would suggest to me that there are health & saftey issues??

Also the school should send a letter out so to advise what they will be doing with any children not going just as they would if they were organsiing the trip themselves.

I am sure that the parents have very best intentions but I do think it is odd how they can go ahead on a 'school day'.

Mel
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now