Year 3 SATS

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

cpc1999

Year 3 SATS

Post by cpc1999 »

Hi, I've just registered on here as someone reccomended the site and would really appreciate some advice! My Daughter took SATS tests last week, which was a surprise to me because I thought they were only done in years 2 &6! Anyway, she came home yesterday with her results and exceeded any expectations I ever had of her - 4.2 in Reading and writing and 3.8 in maths. I always knew she didn't particularly struggle but her teacher has said she's very bright and I should encourage this... I've had a moral battle with the whole testing thing and really hate the idea of baby's (In my eyes!) sitting exams but since she's done so well and actually said she enjoyed doing them this year I'm wondering what other parents/teachers think; should I encourage her or just allow her to carry on at the own pace? Thank you.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There aren't decimal levels so I'm not sure what your child's school has done!
Many schools sit the optional tests in Y3, Y4 and Y5 as it helps them track progress.

I would guess 4.2 means 4c and 3.8 means 3a -

http://www.qca.org.uk/eara/175.asp

This looks like she is GS potential if you want her to head in this direction. Just focus on increasing her vocabulary and encourage her.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

yes Guest 55 is right. Some of the packages which schools use to track attainment require the score to converted in to a numerical format.

Good scores for year 3. You must be proud of her!
cpc1999

Post by cpc1999 »

Thanks for your advice. The more I've looked into these SATS this week the more I realise how well she's done, to say I'm shocked is an understatement, and of course, I'm very proud of her! I'm thinking however, if she's achieved this alone then there's no point 'Pushing' it upon her because she might begin to begrudge the extra work, no doubt they all even out in the end anyway!

Thanks again.
capers123

Re: Year 3 SATS

Post by capers123 »

cpc1999 wrote:I've had a moral battle with the whole testing thing and really hate the idea of baby's (In my eyes!) sitting exams but since she's done so well and actually said she enjoyed doing them this year I'm wondering what other parents/teachers think
I'm not in favour of over-testing children. However, nowadays, many schools are reluctant to say how bright a child is (apparently for fear of playground boasting by pupils & parents). For instance, school report gives a score for effort and one for achievement - but a less able child with SEN could get an A for both.

At least with the SATs, both statutory and optional, you get an absolute score, set against the national population. So if your child is testing very well, but gets poor reports, if could be that they're G&T under stretched & underachieving!
Capers
Lassie

Post by Lassie »

Schools only supply SATS levels appropriate for that year so be clear that the levels stated are what you think they are.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Pardon!

The optional tests do measure NC levels and go beyond where each year would 'normally' be -
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

Have to agree with guest 55, qca tests are often done in primarys, just to see how the children are doing.

cpc, your DD scores were the same as my DD in Y3, she has now secured her GS place, my advice?
go with it, encourage her , help her a little,and widen her horizons, and no pressure!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now