A Gay Geek Wearing Glasses at Grammar!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

This thread has made me laugh, have to say my kids are not (yet) into types but after reading the link below I am getting enlightened and prepared and now understand at least some of the terminology - (think I prefer my planet though :lol: )

http://www.bbc.co.uk/switch/them/chris-mosher.shtml

Ambridge x
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

Hi Scatshouse
I'm going tomorrow eve ,what sort of things do they ask/talk about? How long was it ? Did you get any idea about classes/sizes or a uniform list ?

DS can't wait to go and is looking forward to day visit next month
Pensby :lol:
Here we go again

Post by Here we go again »

When my son got into grammar he was called a 'boff' by 1 boy who had failed the 11 plus himself. I think it is just those who have tried and failed themselves that revert to name calling. Maybe they are trying to convince themselves they didn't want to get a place after all. Quite understandable and forgivable I thought. He loved it, just joined in and called himself a 'boff' too. Just figured it meant he was smart, which it did. Most of his class were really proud of him and he shot up in the social rankings.
Funily enough he was just saying to me the other day that at primary school you got picked on if you were thick and now at grammar you are picked on if you are smart! He is in year 8 at the moment and I hope it is just a phase they are going through. I think for the older years it's quite cool to be smart. He got put in the top sets unlike his friends in his year group and I think he would love it if he could be dropped down a set.
scatshouse

Post by scatshouse »

Hi Pensby,

You are taken in small groups and given a pack containing information about the school and one of the teachers just goes quite quickly through the pack. You are then taken alone by another teacher and they just ask you what your son is best/worst at, if he has any health problems and if there is a certain house you would like your son to be in etc. I tried to decide which tie went best with the blazer to choose a house but I don't think that was a good enough reason :roll: . I was there about an hour in all.

From what I overheard I gather there are a lot less boys than last year and I didn't ask about class sizes but assume they will be in classes of 28/30.

The pack contains list of uniform and suppliers, think you can only buy the p.e. top in house colours from the school though.

See you at the parent's evening in July :D .

Hi Ambridge,

Had a look at that link and I think I've got a Plastic and a Sporty :roll: Although sometimes the Plastic can be Sporty and the Sporty can be Plastic :shock: . Especially when he's asking for 8 pounds for hair products :shock: .

Scatshouse.
Torrylee

Post by Torrylee »

My Y5 daughter has just started to wear glasses. I was expecting a negative reaction from her once we left the Opticians but in fact she is delighted. She is enjoying all the extra attention that they have brought her at school, likes the way she looks wearing them and is concerned that the Optician might decide she doesn't need them when we go back! So maybe wearing glasses can be cool after all ...
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

I think Harry Potter paved the way for glasses being acceptable. My ds was desperate to have them to the point of faking near blindness at the opticians!
scatshouse

Post by scatshouse »

My Y5 daughter has just started to wear glasses. I was expecting a negative reaction from her once we left the Opticians but in fact she is delighted.
Torylee,

My year 8 daughter is desperate for glasses and braces on her teeth. Both of these are cool and trendy now. Unfortunately she needs neither, but has her photo taken wearing all her friends glasses. Thankfully the braces are not removable :shock: .
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

Hi Scatshouse
Had meeting yesterday ,found it quite intersting,the uniform is alot less restricting than I thought,only the rugby and sports top having to be bought from school.( I like the guys coment on blazers,"how much do you want to spend on a goal post !") Have been recommended John Lewis so will probably go there .

DS is looking forward to days visit in July,my DS met her best frind on that day ! No idea about year size,forgot to ask!
DS said wabted a blue tie because supports Everton,but I was told thats not a good enough reason !

See you at the parents evening in July,maybe one day we will meet again !
:wink:

Pensby :lol:
Here we go again

Post by Here we go again »

My daughter really wanted glasses. I bought this cosmopolitan cd where you could give yourself a makeover and the glasses looked really nice on her, like the news reader on the bbc. As it turned she does need glasses and she's really pleased. Sooo different to the old days. Braces are next, she wants to have a nice smile but wants braces with pink diamonds and white wires! Not sure about that one.
scatshouse

Post by scatshouse »

braces with pink diamonds and white wires!
Hi Here we go again,

Yep, they're the ones my daughter wants :D .
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now