explanation/advise from teachers

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

mmmmmmmm it does sound rather puzzling. In your original post, you were concerned that the Year 3 teacher was leaving, presumably because she has the greatest current knowledge of your daughter. Well ...... from the information you have received so far from her, it doesn't sound like you are missing much.

If you have the Laurance Haines tests your daughter sat, and the results your daughter got, perhaps you can search around on the web for a bit more info to help you interpret your daughter's results in advance of whatever they have said they are going to do next term ...... what are they going to do next term that it was too late to do anything about this term?

Have you yourself noticed any problems with your daughter's reading, writing, spelling, speaking etc? What did they mean by a problem with vowels?

Good luck.

Good luck.
BLANCA

Post by BLANCA »

The tests are just lists of words and they have ticked the ones she can read and wwrite. from that they have given me a list of sounds that she has not learnt. they are er, ai, au,aw,ea,ay,oo,oi,oa,ir,ie,ou,oe,ur,ew,aw. are there any others anyway! I must say though I went through list with her last night and she does know some of them. I have arranged a visit to doctors on thursday to arrange a hearing test and have a vision test in november. I am very luky that a friend of a friend is a retired educational phyc. & special needs expert and she is willing to help me over the summer.

I was refused when I asked if I could have sats papers and also when I offered to come in and work with dd so that I could keep things the same at home and school. But having said that maybe I would just make things worse in the long run going into the class.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BLANCA

Post by BLANCA »

your right, i'm not that worried now. To be honest I think dd just got off to a bad start to school life ( she is very immature & cried every day through nursery, rec & year 1 then in year 2 had problems with friends so I think it is very possible she just missed something. having said that as the school have made it an issue I will cover all areas until the problem is resolved.

I don't think it was wise to give me this information a week before school holidays and then expect me to just wait until next term. The test were dated April. But anyway I'm feeling much better today and will not let it take over our summer.
toony

Post by toony »

Are you in Herts? I'm a teacher and we used these tests when children are being considered for referral to 'the base' for extra help for dyslexia - specific learning difficulties.

The tests will tell you where the problems lie and therefore give you targets to work on with the child.

However I'm puzzled why they would be doing these with your child with the levels you have given. Is there a problem with spelling - this would drag down the relatively low writing score you have stated?
BLANCA

Post by BLANCA »

toony have pm'd you
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now