Suggested reading material

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Glos_Mum

Suggested reading material

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
katel

Post by katel »

Anthony Horowitz?

Charlie Higson?
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

Alex Rider series is good,even seems to keep my non bookworm DS occupied!!!
twellsmum

Reading material

Post by twellsmum »

We have this problem with age appropriate stuff too. My DD2 is just eight but has a reading age of 13y 6m. She too has read her way through Harry Potter but is after reading Jacqueline Wilson which IMHO deal with too many issues that I would prefer her not to reading about! She does like Eva Ibbotson though (especially "Journey to the River Sea"). I don't think they are that "girlie" although apologies if they are as I have two girls who are avid readers but my boys are yet to get to that stage as they are only six and three!
BLANCA

Post by BLANCA »

Have a look at Angie Sage (Septimus Heap series) also jonathan stroud the Bartimaeus trilogy

could try artimus fowel by eoin colfer (my dd didn't like this as much but maybe better for boys?)
Hairless

Post by Hairless »

My first post, I read this site with interest.Here is a list of some of the books my 12 year old son has thoroughly enjoyed(I have read quite a few of them - having to check content is suitable and have also enjoyed them!)

The Doomspell Trilogy - Cliff McNish
The Silver Sequence (3 Books) - Cliff McNish
Breathe - Cliff McNish
Cherub series - Robert Muchamore
Young Bond - Charlie Higson
the Talent Thief - Alex Williams
Pure Dead series - Debi Gliori
Chronicles of Ancient Darkness - Michelle Paver
Song Quest - Katherine Roberts
Traces (3 books) - Malcolm Rose
Montmoreny - Eleanor Updale
Artemis Fowl - Eoin Colfer
Alex Rider books and other by Anthony Horowitz
Books by Malorie Blackman

This should keep your son busy :D for a while!
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sam's Mum

Post by Sam's Mum »

My son loved the "Redwall" series of books by Brian Jacques - there are absolutely loads of them so could keep him busy for some time.

Also liked "The Edge Chronicles" series of books by Paul Stewart and Chris Ridell - great for those with slightly strange sense of humour.

Both DS and DD enjoyed the "Percy Jackson" series by Rick Riordan (I think there are currently 5 titles).

DS more recently moved on to Terry Pratchett and spent many a happy hour laughing away to himself. He has written some books for children - "The Wee Free Men" trilogy comes highly recommended by my son. His books for adults may be a bit too old at the moment but DS loves them (he's 14).

twellsmum - has your daughter tried the "Ingo" series by Helen Dunmore? There are five books in the series. DD (aged nearly 12) loves them but I don't think there is anything unsuitable in the material for a younger child. And how about some "classic" books - "What Katy Did" and "The Secret Garden" went down really well too.
Hairless

Post by Hairless »

Glos Mum - Our source are 2 local libraries! I visit the large book shops, write down the name of new books etc, go to on line retailers - look at the reviews and then order them at the library! Much cheaper, as it generally only takes my son a couple of days to read a book which could cost upto £17.00. It is also means we are helping to keep our libraries open.

The first primary school my son went to refused to recognise his abilities and therefore refused to give him appropriate reading material, so we turned to the library. He loves reading, has a fantastic vocabularly and comprehension and at the end of year 7 has achieved 6B for his English written work and 6c for his reading.
Sam's Mum

Post by Sam's Mum »

Hairless wrote:Glos Mum - Our source are 2 local libraries! I visit the large book shops, write down the name of new books etc, go to on line retailers - look at the reviews and then order them at the library! Much cheaper, as it generally only takes my son a couple of days to read a book which could cost upto £17.00. It is also means we are helping to keep our libraries open.
Totally agree. Our library doesn't charge for ordering books on a children's ticket. Can also try loads of different books and if you don't like them you haven't lost anything. My children love going to the library and will happily spend the afternoon curled up in an armchair as they work their way through a big pile of books. When they really like a series we have to buy them though as they get re-read a number of times.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now