Youtube

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
bigrob

Post by bigrob »

Worried mum. I know this is an old thread now, but don't you think you over reacted?

I refuse to believe that there is a pervert hanging around every street corner.

Have you looked you YT? There are millions of innocent videos on there.

It is this kind of hysteria that stops people being able to video their kids school plays and the like.

Fortunately my own Ds's school lets us video them and I have fantastic video of the older DS and younger DS.

I also take photos of my kids rugby and football teams in action and make the photos available to all the parents to download.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Sorry bigrob you are so wrong - unfortunately I have had to deal with some children 'damaged' by these people. You may be taking photos innocently but you do not know what use others will put them to.

I trust you have the clubs permission to take photographs and are CRB checked. If not I would suggest you protect yourself by doing so.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

The primary school my daughter goes to allows photos and videos and we don't need to be crb checked - thankfully!!

I am only too pleased that a head is sensible enough to allow parents to take photos of their children.

Whilst I really do feel for families who have been affected by the misuse of photos etc, I do feel we shouldn't all be so afraid as not to be able to photograph our own children. School days are over so soon and not to have treasured memories for the children to look back on (as well as the parents) would be a great shame.

Hysteria can and does create fear.

Please, don't think this takes ANYTHING away from what some unfortunate people have to endure - it doesn't.
bigrob

Post by bigrob »

Guest55

Yes I am CRB checked. I also email all parents in the team at the beginning of the year to ask if their are any who do not want their children in photos/video.

No-one has objected. I also video some games and we put it on in the club after the match for the boys to watch. They all have their food, then sit down in front of the big TV & really enjoy it.

I wonder what parents who have this hysteria when they are on holiday. Do they go round the pool speaking to parents and asking them not to use cameras and camcorders?

If for example I saw someone on holiday specifically pointing a camera/camcorder in the pool then I would intervene.

I do appreciate that there are horrible people out there but a sense of balance is needed.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

What about the other teams - do you ask them!

It may seem 'over the top' to you but if you are allowing even one child to be subject to abuse then I don't know how you can condone your casual attitude.

In some sports you have to have a licence to take photos - I applaud this - when there are a group of adults taking photos can you be sure they are all parents? Even if they are ...... who knows what their purpose is. I know 95% is innocent but not all.

My view MAY seem extreme to you but, as a teacher, I have had to deal with the effects on many children ...
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Guest 55 - I'm a bit puzzled. I don't understand how taking photos of children playing rugby/football etc allows them to be subject to abuse. What could happen? I ask because, like Bigrob, my husband also takes photographs at rugby and cricket matches and emails them to parents. (He's CRB checked and has done coaching courses). How could this lead to a child being abused? I've got a photo in front of me which my husband took of my son at a rugby festival last Sunday. Given that he and the boys in the background are plastered in an inch thick layer of mud, 3 of the boys have scrum caps on and they all have their gumshields sticking out of their mouths, I doubt if anyone other than their parents could even recognise them. But I'm worried I'm missing something here.
katel

Post by katel »

If you take a video of a child and put it on YouTube without any identifying details, how on earth is this going to lead to a child being abused?
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I'm sorry, but this is being hysterical.

It's over the top to expect parents not to photograph their children 'just in case' someone might misuse the photo/video.

The chances of this happening are so remote. We cannot and should not live our lives in fear.

Even though someone is CRB checked, all this tells you is that no evidence has been found to suggest they are abusers/no criminal charges have been brought against them. It does not tell you they are not abusers. They very well could be, they just haven't been found out yet.

Please people, keep this in proportion - live your life, let your kids enjoy themselves and keep your memories of their childhood precious.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Of course I'm not going to explain how videos/photos can be used!! That would be totally irresponsible but believe me they can and are used.

I would love this NOT to be so but it is - if you ignore it it will not stop and go away,
katel

Post by katel »

I presume you mean that the photos might be manipulated?

In the extremely unlikely event of this happening, exactly how is it going to cause any harm at all to the child concerned?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now