GRAMMAR NOT GRAMMER

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I am doing a lot of deep breathing because of Tipsy's You-know-whats !!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

yoyo123 wrote:I am doing a lot of deep breathing because of Tipsy's You-know-whats !!

I did not bring up the subject! :lol:
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

my hamsters and I thank you!!
hermanmunster

Re: GRAMMAR NOT GRAMMER

Post by hermanmunster »

Sally-Anne wrote:
moose wrote:GRAMMAR SCHOOL should be spelled GRAMMAR not GRAMMER.
Time to come out of the closet and admit that Moose has highlighted the one single spelling error that I find really hard to take on this Forum!

I always try to tell myself that it is a typo, but when it appears in an otherwise flawless script, I have to do a lot of deep breathing before I reply!

Sally-Anne
phew I can get out of the closet too now, was getting awfully crowded in there.... DS school had some raffle tickets or programmes printed and they came back with GRAMMER on them ... tricky as they were done by someone as a favour - dilemma what do you do?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Hermanmunster, I think in that situation one is right to have a bee in their bonnet, but on a website with a mix of Geni and plebs (me), one must be more forgiving. (I sound tres posh today, must be preparing for my climb up the social ladder :lol: )
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Here, Here TIPSY

My spelling isn't always correct and neither is my grammar but I'm not here for further education jsut for chat, advice and often lots of fun

Now tell me what are Guinnea Pigs like as pets I kind of told DD she can have won for being such a terrific kid

Mel
x
Marylou

Re: GRAMMAR NOT GRAMMER

Post by Marylou »

hermanmunster wrote:
Sally-Anne wrote:
moose wrote:GRAMMAR SCHOOL should be spelled GRAMMAR not GRAMMER.
Time to come out of the closet and admit that Moose has highlighted the one single spelling error that I find really hard to take on this Forum!

I always try to tell myself that it is a typo, but when it appears in an otherwise flawless script, I have to do a lot of deep breathing before I reply!

Sally-Anne
phew I can get out of the closet too now, was getting awfully crowded in there.... DS school had some raffle tickets or programmes printed and they came back with GRAMMER on them ... tricky as they were done by someone as a favour - dilemma what do you do?
Oh dear - not very good PR for the school, but reprinting is presumably not an option here. Perhaps some stickers placed over the mistake with the word spelt correctly? Long-winded, but at least it indicates that the mistake was spotted and was corrected as a printing error.
Marylou
moose

Post by moose »

Thank you Sally Anne for your support.
I did not mean to upset anybody, but I had to finally say it. It was really bugging me, since I noticed that it strangely kept appearing all the time.
I do believe spelling is important and if possible everybody should at least try to get it right. I definitely do not agree with John Wells, Emeritus Professor of Phonetics at University College London, who caused lots of controversy recently, stating that spelling rules are basically the waste of time
By the way in my son's primary school newsletter 'their' was spelled as 'there'. It's another one of those common spelling mistakes, which make your tummy to turn upside down.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Moose, I couldn't agree with you more.

Spelling IS important, especially when one is trying to make an impression.

However, as stated by others, people on here are stressed out and not always thinking properly, as well as being in a rush.

I happen to think punctuation is extremely important too, it can make a world of difference to what one writes.

However, I sometimes am in a rush and don't always take the time to read what I have written, hence I leave out punctuation which could make my meanderings comprehensible.

I also HATE the over use of the word THAT.

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
moose

Post by moose »

Snowdrop,
I am absolutely tolerant and understand that people make mistakes. I make lots of them, being in the rush and so on.. However I could not let GRAMMER pass, seeing it misspelled so many times . We are after all on the site dedicated to GRAMMAR not GRAMMER schools.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now