Youtube

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Worried Mum

Youtube

Post by Worried Mum »

Can anyone help me out here....12 year old came in yesterday evening from his friend's house and informed me that they had made a video of themselves doing something daft in the garden, to put on Youtube. I refused to let him put images of himself on there. He was most upset and couldn't see what the problem was as no names were being used, I bluntly refused as the video was on someone else's PC and anyone could add his details. This caused a huge argument between us and I don't know if I over-reacted or not....I just don't like the idea of pics of my kids going out for anyone to see.

Help!!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No I agree with you - it seems innocent to them but we know there are devious [and worse] types out there.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I absolutely agree with the stance you took WM.

Anything posted on there can end up doing the rounds in ways that you (and they) may never have even thought of.

For anyone wondering what the site is, it is a well-known video site with the initials YT. :wink:

S-A
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

A policeman came to our school to talk to parents about internet safety and what he told us was really frightening. One thing in particular that children don't realise is that evreything will be on the net for years to come so that some harmless fun now could potentially be seen by a future employer/university and could have an adverse affect on their application. He also told us of a young teenage boy who took a photo of his sister in her underwear and blue toothed it to his mates. One of the mates put it up on a similar site and as a result the boy now has a criminal record for sending obscene images!
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

OMG - how weird - last night I had exactly the same conversation with my son. Last week, 5 of them had a sleepover at a friends, they all found instruments and re-enacted a weird group singing a strange song (how old am I!!), filmed it on a mobile and then downloaded it to y**t**e under an alias.

Fortunately, they were all wearing hats and none of them could be identified (thank goodness because it was complete rubbish!).

The first I knew about this was last night when my son wanted to show me it.

My initial re-action was to make him remove it but it really is inoffensive (read boring) so we have agreed that it can stay on there until the end of the summer hols and then it must be removed and it must never happen again or else I will have to stop him using the computer for any form of fun and we are fine about this arrangement.

I believe, although I am trying to find the legal wording, that what they have done is illegal as they are under 16/18 and as parents we are also in the wrong allowing a minor to do this - if there is a legal-minded parent out there who can point me in the right direction I would like to show my son in print why it is wrong.

The internet is a mine-field that's for sure and it is up to us parents to, I would like to say, keep a step ahead but realistically to at least be a close step behind what the kids get up to when using the computer. :roll:

Ambridge x
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Once you've found out a good way of expressing to your son why it is not a great idea to do these things, can you ask the school to reinforce the message somehow? And the parents of his friends? If it's just you badgering on and it's the latest craze at school and with his friends, you alone may not get very far.

Like you, it would concern me (maybe I'm just old-fashioned) and I'd feel that they could have some more constructive spare-time activities.

Could they make a good film instead somehow, which you invite an audience round to watch, or enter a competition with, rather than broadcasting weird things on Y**T*** and on the mobile network?

Good luck.
KES Parent

Re: *******

Post by KES Parent »

Worried Mum wrote:Can anyone help me out here....12 year old came in yesterday evening from his friend's house and informed me that they had made a video of themselves doing something daft in the garden, to put on *******. I refused to let him put images of himself on there. He was most upset and couldn't see what the problem was as no names were being used, I bluntly refused as the video was on someone else's PC and anyone could add his details. This caused a huge argument between us and I don't know if I over-reacted or not....I just don't like the idea of pics of my kids going out for anyone to see.

Help!!
Blimey, that is scary - do you know what they were doing in the garden?! I think you have to read the riot act about this, never mind not over-reacting. His school should definitely be told so they can get someone in to talk to the kids and put the fear of God into them. Of course, they have no concept at this age of the damage they can do to their own futures, and probably won't have for a few more years yet.
Worried Mum

Post by Worried Mum »

Thank you all SO much, I thought I was just being old fashioned and over protective! You've made me feel much better about putting my foot down. It's the hidden dangers they, as children, don't see that scares me. I may even show him your messages then he may realise?

He's not actually "into" computers and has much nicer outside activities which is where he would rather be thankfully, but he was in the company of an older friend (and a friend of this friend), who are both very PC literate and I think they thought it up, he wouldn't have thought to do it himself. I had a "stern" chat with his friend and told him that if his mum chooses to let him broadcast himself on this site then that's up to her, but on no account does anyone broadcast my children without my permission - even schools seek parental permission first!

Surely this goes against the Data Protection and Child Protection Acts?

I can always rely on this site for a bit of level headed thinking!! Thanks again!!

WM
Worried Mum

Post by Worried Mum »

KES Parent - they weren't doing anything bad, just something silly with a huge beachball in a paddling pool (all were fully dressed as this was early evening).

Definitely thinking of speaking to the learning manager at school about this when they go back in September.

I feel the same about other sites which are used - you know the ones where people put their details, photos and all their personal stuff? Anyone can place a photo of anybody on there without asking consent which I think is wrong. Call me stuffy!!
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now