Grand Theft Auto

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
zorro

Post by zorro »

It just amazes me why some seemingly "respectable and middle class" parents let their kids have access to these really horrible games. When we go to the Game shop if anything is over a 12 rating I won't even consider it DS gets really annoyed- "so and so has got it" and I always reply - " well you aren't having it !"
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

It makes me furious that people ignore the age ratings on games and, frequently, on films too. My son was allowed to watch a certificate 12 film at a friend's house when he was in reception. I was LIVID.

Five years later, this friend has bought her son numerous over-age games including The Simpsons and WWF Wrestling. She wonders why he constantly fights and falls out with people!

This is totally irresponsible!

As you can see, I have rather a bee in my bonnet over this issue...

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

I've recently said no to my DS relating to this for the second time. He is now nearly 15. The first time was when a friend swapped it for one of his games when he was 10. It was swiftly despatched back then, and I won't let him have it until he is 18 as a result. He is quite happy to go with my decision.
Wallasey

Post by Wallasey »

My (nearly) 13 year old DS has asked for games of this type. We have said no to anything above a 12. I know of other kids younger than him playing on these games and think their parents are misguided. It isn't just the violence and the language; it's the attitudes they are being exposed to when playing the games. In the same way, we wouldn't let our DC play with toy weapons of any kind but have seen other children of supposedly intelligent parents allowed to do so.
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

Fortunately, I have had this row with my son and we now understand the rules about films/video games etc which I feel are unsuitable.

My son went round to a new 'friends' house a couple of years ago when he was 10, to be fair, there were older brothers in the family. He borrowed the game and brought it home.....

So that I understood my argument, I went on the game to try and 'get it' and believe you me, it is really not very nice, the language is not great but the story lines, the violence and the expectations of what the kids are expected to aim for are horrible and I would not be happy for anyone under say 16 going on it.

It is so easy, with the great graphics and fast action, for a younger child who is not worldly, to think this is life, this is how people act when they are older.

I think you have to be at least 16 or preferably 18 to treat it purely as a game of fantansy (if you really want to :roll:).

Since then, I have been very upfront in showing an interest in the computer/Playstation/PSP/Wii games my children play and if friends are round, any that verge on being slightly unsuitable, we put away and they play on cricket, footie, F1, SuperMario.

Likewise, if kids come round to watch a dvd, if it is PG, I always mention to the parent what they will be watching, just in case.

They have years and years (at 16, 17, 18+) when they can buy, watch, play as many unsuitable games/dvds as they want and the very least us, as parents, can do is lay down a few ground rules when they are so very impressionable.

They don't have to do and have everything so young. Grand Theft Auto and other popular games are meant for 18+ . Until then, there are millions of other age appropriate games and videos they can play. It's that old scenario of pushing the boundaries and hoping to wear us down.

Ambridge x
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

I agree with everyone so far. It's rubbish, and don't waste your time and money on it at any age 11, 18 or 80. I would be inclined to invite all the parents around for a grand theft auto party one evening after the kids are in bed. Bet most have not had the time to play it themselves. And you will learn something about which ones are the morons pretty fast.
sunnymummy

grand theft auto

Post by sunnymummy »

Wow! What a great website! I've had this problem too. At least two of 10 year old son's friends have G. T. A. and the hassle is intense. It's easing off a little now, undoubtedly because the game is a bit "over" and also, I suspect, because he's been playing it at their houses. I tried to get around it by looking out sort of "trendy", "left-field" games like Pattapon and Locoroco. But I was really miffed that it came into our orbit. I suspect this is what happens when there are older children in the family, the age-bar just gets worn down. It's really annoying though. And I spent far too long fretting as to whether I was over-anxious-mother for banning it.
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

After explaining why we felt we could not allow him to buy this game, our son was fine about it, but his friend brought it with him when he came to play here :roll: . I had to confiscate it and at home time returned it along with a reminder that we do not allow games for those over 12.
sunnymummy

grand theft auto

Post by sunnymummy »

I'm glad to hear you confiscated it. I do things like that and often worry I'm alone - now I know I'm not. Hurray! As to the explaining, I'm impressed a. that you took the time - because it does take time and b. that your son took it on board. Mine's so grumpy, so much of the time, that I sometimes worry it's pointless and so I tend to shortcut. Then I'm cross with myself because who else is going to take the time to discuss morals/ethics with him? Well done you.
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

I agree it is nice knowing that I am not the only mean Mum :wink:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now