G&T art query

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Visit lots of galleries and exhibitions, modern stuff as well as classics, some galleries and museums have children's activities and quiz sheets which encourage them to look closely. Otherwise a wide selection of materials for art and craft , they sell them quite cheaply in The Works.

As for the G&T maths, lots of puzzles, problem solving, logic puzzles etc. There is a huge selection online. That way you are developing their mathematical skills , quality rather than quantity.

Have a look at this site, the maths enrichment site

http://nrich.maths.org/public/

a sample of the activities

http://nrich.maths.org/public/leg.php?g ... 33#results
Floss

Post by Floss »

andyb wrote:Sorry to hijack your thread Mike.

We have just been told DS1 (Y6) is AG&T in Maths. We were so gobsmacked we didn't think to ask what we should be doing to encourage/develop him at home (if anything). We don't want to go over the top and put him off and don't really want to cover things that he will then do in class which may make the lessons boring. He says school is starting a Maths club for those who are good at Maths and the teacher will invite children to attend - should we just leave it at that? Any ideas?

PS He just thinks he is "good at Maths" as we feel he may get complacent if he knows he is very good at Maths.
Andyb, we're in the same position, just been to parents evenings and been told our daughter is G&T in maths (also reading !!) and never thought to ask what we should do to encourage it. :)
cindy

Post by cindy »

Hi

Charlotte 67 took the wordS out of my mouth.

If your Head recommends your child on this link then there are all sorts
of art couses available for G&T
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I thought I should add some advice about encouraging a childs Maths gift. My son was at GCSE level by the age of 6 because of his ability and because I thought it would be good to encourage this talent. I never pushed him, but he understood concepts straight away and moved on and soon overtook me! :oops: Anyway we have had nothing but problems trying to find a school that can cater for a boy already knows GCSE Chemistry and Maths, and if I had my time again I wouldn't have taught him this stuff. He is in a great school but for 4 years has twiddled his thumbs in his Math classes and is desperate to discuss advanced chemistry but no one to share his thoughts with. So, I would just leave them to be good at what they are good at and worry more about where their weakness are and bring these on, should you wish.

In saying that he got 5 scholarships based on his extraordinary Maths scores so, if you would like a scholarship then I would suggest accelerating them in this subject.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

So emphasis on keeping it enjoyable and using the spare brain capacity for broadening knowledge rather than depth of knowledge?

Music is about the only G&T area where I can see a really advanced level of achievement (as opposed to a more "average" achievement spread wider) as being largely harmless???

Mike
Grumpy!

Post by Grumpy! »

Having a son identified in year 2 (now y7) as g & t in art, in my experience their love of a subject comes and goes, even in something they have a flair for. Encourage your school to join g&t 'clusters' to allow them to share resources and put on special days - this has worked very well in our area. I've found it impossible to sign him up for courses at the level he would like - all for adults; age appropriate ones are often very crafty rather than what I would call arty.

We've always gone to various museums etc, but beware of overkill - you don't want to put them off!! Galleries can be very boring!!!! :oops: We are lucky to have a talented grandma who draws/paints with him from time to time (certainly doesn't get this talent from me!), have you any relative/friend who can give some quality one on one time? This has always been what he has enjoyed most as he likes to take his time and get things just right.

Hope this helps and you can enjoy being creative together.
slug62

Post by slug62 »

mike1880 wrote:Broadly agree. The way children perceive things and the way they choose to represent them - especially people and faces - develops with age, I would doubt that it's worthwhile (or wise) to try and interfere with that development process.

We've left our son to his own devices so far; I've been dithering for months over whether I should look for an art teacher but a couple of weeks ago (coincidentally) came to the conclusion that he's best left to get on with it and crossed it off my to-do list. The school putting him on the G&T reg rattled me into wondering whether that's the right approach, but after a few days' panicking I think I'm going to stick with it and just look out for opportunities for a wider variety of activities.

Mike
Couldn't agree more and think I am going to do the same. She gets such out of drawing - why 'formalise' it? She is only seven and there is plenty of time.
Thank you for the advice.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I have recommended the Primary Maths challenge before -it's great!

http://www.m-a.org.uk/education/primary ... challenge/
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now