Vetgal's 11+ Results

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Oh, I see and a better system I suspect.

I take it you're opting for GS rather than Independent school Vetgal?
vetgal

Post by vetgal »

yeah I am putting down 2 grammars and then 2 independants
Emma
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Can't you put down four schools on the Kent form now? These four schools are state schools, not independents.

You need to find out whether you live at the right distance from the grammar schools you are interested in to be likely to get a place. You could also find two non-selective schools that you might like to use up the last two places on your form (they are not all bad!).

Whether or not you get into the independents depends on how you do in their entrance exams, nothing to do with the Kent 11+. Have you got your name down for the entrance exams?

Depending on the independent concerned, you may get some kind of discount from the fees if you do well and win an academic scholarship, or if they do means-tested bursaries and your parents' income is below a certain amount.

But don't assume independent is best. It's not always the case. And don't assume grammar school is best. It's not always the case. When you apply for vet school you will be up against intense competition from zillions of applicants who have all got strings of A* at GCSE, and strings of As at A' level. Having been to a small independent school that spoon-fed you and provided little challenge or extra-curricular stuff may not distinguish you from other candidates.

It's very early days, but have you looked at the sort of things that admissions tutors are looking for in prospective vet candidates? This may help you with your school choices.

Good luck. And well done with the high 11+ score. Maybe you would have got 420 if you went to bed earlier!!!!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Why do people think independents sppon-feed?! Its the current government qualifications that allow resit after resit which I think is spoon-feeding whereas most independents sit exams with either no or minimal coursework to fall back on. Kids at independent schools are expeced to think for themselves and are constantly challenged, they are not spoon-fed. Maybe people with all these perceived views should actually spend some time at independents (and the top ones too) and maybe they'll relinquinsh their views on the fact that they're not hot house, spoon fed, socially elite environments, but offer a curriculum designed to prepare children for the adult world with high aspirations and good manners! :roll: I'm fed up with people saying what they want if you choose and independent or if you are financially well off, could you imagine if I started commenting as negatively about GS or people below a certain income. Too many people on this site are too self-righteous! :roll:
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

I don't think all independent schools spoon-feed - no way!

I just know that Vetgal lives in Kent (I think). In Kent there are quite a few small independent schools that really do. Because we have the 11+ system across the whole of Kent, the independents have a different cross-section of people to work with.

One of the "niche" markets is non-selective independents for children who did not, or who probably would not, pass the 11+. Many of them get surprisingly good GCSE and A' level results by spoon-feeding. I have personal experience of such a school and I do not think someone with 413 in the Kent 11+ should ever attend such a school, even if they offered a 100% scholarship or bursary.

Sometimes it is hard to spot them from the "outside".
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Failing the 11+ but getting straight A's does not mean a child is spoon-fed, but more to do with the excellent teaching at a school and the expectations a child has for themselves. I'm 99% sure my son would fail the 11+ because of lack of tutoring and 1 place for every 10 child which means the odds are against us - I still expect my son to get A's a A'level however.

One independent which has an average intake gets on average 4 A'levels per child. The parents are the least pushy people I know and due to ridiculously long holidays they are at school 10 weeks less than they would be a GS. The results are achieved through great teaching and giving the children independence - they play sport as much as they do academic work so may be its some of the GS schools that aren't very good if they are taking a brighter cohort, have them at school longer and make them do up to 3 hours :o homework a night and still these independent schools get better results.
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

We both have experience of independent schools - but they vary. I can assure you that there are some independent schools in Kent which do spoon feed, which do not teach imaginitively by any stretch of the imagination(!), and which do get "not very able" pupils (ones who despite thorough coaching do not pass the 11+) to get better grades at GCSE and A' level than they would in some other schools.

I still maintain that schools like these would be of no benefit to Vetgal despite the "independent" label. She may of course be considering a top independent school in Kent with many able pupils like herself in the school - I don't know.

I went to an independent school myself, and if it existed in this area, I would send my daughters to it (apart from the fact I am feeling very stingy about money at the moment for various reasons.) I think you know I am not self-righteous!! Every school should be treated on its own merits - not by generalisations about the sector which it forms part of. There are good and bad comprehensives, good and bad independents, good and bad grammars, good and bad non-selective state schools, and there are good ones in all sectors which may or may not suit your child, and even bad ones in all sectors that may suit your child!

I just think that Vetgal should be aware that independent does not always equal good. Can you disagree with this?!
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

My dear Tipsy. I have a question for you; forgive me if I appear rude, (I am in one of my moods this morning).

What are you doing on the eleven plus exams forum? Is there not an independent schools forum that you can cyber-inhabit?

Not saying that I want rid of you but you don't seem very happy with the whole GS thing....

And BTW, I'm sure a boy with an amazing intellect, such as your DS, would have NO trouble at all getting in to a GS with no tutoring, just a little practise. You are perpetuating the myth of the 11+ mountain.

Charlotte.

Vetgal - Well done!!! Perplexed is correct; Your parents should not include independents when completing the form; these should be applied for seperately. I hope you find what you want.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Perplexed - I do not think you are self-righteous :) but others are :roll:

Charlotte67 :) - If there was an independent site I'd be on it and anyway I generally use the independent section on his site. Without being rude, why do many feel they can butt into the independent site with negative comments and little facts and do not offer any help. One rule for one....?

I am not anti-GS but sick of the way people with, on the whole, limited knowledge of these schools spout garbadge. I was right though...the moment anyone criticises a grammar they would get criticised for it! :roll:

Tips x
fm

Post by fm »

I think Tipsy objects to the word spoonfed and I suspect we all mean different things by it.
I may have used it myself to mean that independent schools tend to be able to offer:

a) smaller classes at A level (my daughter at GS was in a class of 18 for Maths, her friend at independent was in with 4)
b) less teacher turnover and absence--parents just aren't going to tolerate it as they are paying good money
c) less seriously awful teachers -- again an independent will act to complaints from parents in a way state GS won't or possibly can't
d) better, up-to-date textbooks (although not always, I know)
e) less disruptive, more dedicated pupils
f) more communication between home and school (at some GS schools they will wait to parents' evening (possibly 6 months) before informing a parent of a problem but our local independents seem to be much quicker and more proactive in this area)

I certainly don't mean the children are mollycoddled intellectually. I am sure they are stimulated and encouraged to think beyond mere exam passing. In fact, that is probably the major benefit of smaller A level classes. There are also many character building experiences offered that will make them tough physically which just aren't available in state schools.

On the subject of grammar school entrance, I have to agree that any very intelligent child could gain entrance on the back of a week's intensive tuition, provided they are already at a decent primary school, aren't dyslexic and the exam is NFER-based. I know this because my eldest (who is rumoured to be intelligent though did very mediocrely at A level) gained entrance 9 years ago with exactly that.