Anyone a teacher of foundation stage children?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ed's mum

Anyone a teacher of foundation stage children?

Post by Ed's mum »

I have got an assignment to do involving planning activities for FS children.
I never teach this age group!
I'll write the bare bones incase anyone can help:

1) An activity to explore the way FS children think and reason using language.

2) 2/3 communication games that develop knowledge of convention in communication. (I guess this could be stuff like turn taking in conversation? - maybe role playing a phone call or visit to doctor or something???).

Any help SO gratefully received - absolutely snowed under with course work at the moment!!
:mrgreen:

For 1, could I do the following...

feely bag with variety of objects in. Children have to feel and, using their knowledge of how common items feel: texture, shape, size, guess what it is.

or maybe give them a problem like : my shoe is broken, or toy fire engine is broken - what should I fix it with: tape, pritt stick, string etc. They reason through which would wotrk and why and which not and why???
chad

Post by chad »

I spent eight years as a pre-school teacher (Grade NVQ3) - Foundation Stage.

I did a load of 'activity planning' for my NVQ..... I can have a look back in my notes and see what I can find.....it wont be until this evening tho.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

ANY help gratefully received thank you Chad.
I really should not have included the word 'teacher' in my thread title. Anyone with experience of the FS will be much more knowledgeable than me!!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Nurseries often have shop stalls or post offices which encourages communication skills through role play. I can't think of anything else - sorry! :?
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Thanks Tips,
I can think of quite a few role play situations doctors, vets, variety of shops etc. Just need confirmation from someone that the basic idea is okay. ie does the convention of turn-taking suit what I have been asked to do for number 2...

And need lots of help for other ideas for 1 and 2. really brain dead now (no offence meant)
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Got your message :) .

Unfortunately we are talking some time ago and it was never my preferred age group even though I seemed to spend most of my time down there, far too difficult and probably did blight many lives!

Have the miss- fortune though to have to help out twice a month with DS4's nursery sessions, compulsory, so will have a think.
watfordmum66

Post by watfordmum66 »

Hi,

One of the valuable convention's of conversation is listening, could you develop a listening game ( e.g bingo children listen to a sound fire engine and then put picture on card lots of stuff like this on market. ) Then follow theme people talking in different voices e.g shouting / laughing what do the children think the emotion is / asking children / fun games chineese whispers /what's the time Mr wolf etc which all would lead into turn taking in conversation / role play.

My youngest now year 1 did all of these in nursery and reception. if i think of anything else she did will post.

not sure if any of this is helpful :)
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Thank you. You're very kind.

I'll digest that and see what happens.

I love this forum!
chad

Post by chad »

OK Had a look......

The feely bag is one that I have on my list....

Why do you think it is a ball.....because it is round and hard and it feels like a ball.

also
Another one was a 'floating/sinking' activity

The children had a variety of objects that they could put into the fish tank of water.

They looked at the object and described it ,what it was made of and whether they thought it would float and why. The adult then asks the rest of the group if they think it will.

They then tested their theory.....prompted questions as to what type of objects floated.....'the ones that were wood'...'not the heavy ones'
Again 'turn taking' in conversation, reasoning, listening to others.

Science is a great one for this.....a simple electric circuit (one of the 'kits') that made noises or lit up lights was a great talking point

also

Emotion Cards - Pictures of people doing different things i.e. Family round a table with a cake with candles, child sitting alone on a front step, 2 children staring at each other etc. All different emotions shown..anger sadness, happiness, bored, content, upset, worried......

Activity is for a group of children to take a card and describe what is happening. Children can take very differing views.
Adult prompts with open questions.... why do you think he is sad......what do you think is happening.....do you think that is what is happening.....what do you think mught happen next..etc
Having a group of children encourages turn taking and listening to others. the prompt questions encourage reasoning as to why they think the child is happy or why it is a birthday party.....
In a picture with an elderly lady and a child in a park the group may say it is grandma taking a her to the park. the 'Why do you think that' promps the reasoning...because the lady is old and they are holding hands.

Communication games...

Not sure.... but how about 'I spy something the colour of' listening and paying attention....

A puppet show covers the conventions of conversation......using the window of a 'play house' ask the children to make up a story and act it out with the puppets.... have a small discussion beforehand as to what the children would like the story to be about. Again prompt with open questions....What is your puppets name.... tell me about her.... then sit back and let the children act out the story.

I may have some more.....still going thru my play plans....

:)
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Super!! Thank you Chad!

I'm going to get on with the writing aspect of my assignment now. You're very kind.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now