Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhh

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mike1880

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhh

Post by mike1880 »

Just home from parents' evening. Gloom....

I don't know why we're bothering, or maybe we're just fooling ourselves that he's got the ability to get into GS.

I DO know that if he doesn't get into GS I am NOT paying out £9k a year for the privilege of him choosing not to participate in the attempt to educate him. He can go to our local comp and see how he likes it.

Mike
AB

Post by AB »

Calm down,mikeyboy,( if you can, thinking about £9k flying out the window ..)

Is this the report for this half of the Spring Term or the whole of the year so far? Don't forget he has just gone back after Christmas and it is always such a 'muddly' time especially when 11+/Independent exams are on. He might have just be a little less focused with schoolwork because of other interesting things he is practising. 8)

You have seen how he works with his extra work.
Have a little faith. :lol:
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

I've lost count of the number of Yr 6 Sunday afternoon homework sessions that have ended with me saying "and you want to go to Grammar School?" :lol:

They're hormonal.
We've squeezed their brains so hard for a year that they can barely manage to tie their own laces.
They're hormonal.
Actually school is quite boring in Yr 6, all they seem to do is revise Science, which involves watching the teacher do the fun experiments.
They're hormonal.

It will be fine, don't worry. :wink:
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Don't lose heart so soon, mike1880

I returned from DS1 parents evening, yesterday. First at new school. It was a lovely evening.

I was very very/extremely annoyed after coming out as I recalled all the ones at Junior school. So understated, never giving any encouragement, just the usual blase 'He's getting on OK'. The game they play is quite soul destroying. As a parent you suspect that your child is good, but they won't confirm, either way. It's not P.C. (unless they're good at sport, of course.)
I was so VERY proud of my son last night.

Don't let them put you off. Deep down you know what your child is capable of :D
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Mike

The most common statements to DS1 (now Year 9) at present (other than "have you heard a word I have said?") are:

Doyouwanttobeatagrammarschoolatall? Becauseatthisrateyouaregoingtogetthrownout! Youcangotothelocalsinkschoolifyouwant. Theywon'tcarewhatyoudoandtheywon'tcareabouthomework.

It's your choice!

IfyouwanttomakeitthroughGCSEsyouaregoingtohavetogetalotmorefocussed. Andthe XBoxisgoing!

NOW, NOW, NOW!

And so on ...

This is totally a BOY thing. The only advice I can give you is that boys need a great deal more practical help to get through school than girls do. Personal organisation, completing homework, getting a routine together.

I can't give any really helpful advice yet, as I am still drowning not waving, but I will certainly post any miracle solutions when I find them. :D
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Chocolate Mike?

We have large stores of it and give it out on an as needed basis.

Please help yourself from the selection provided 8) :arrow:
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Bewildered, I would KILL for "he's doing OK". What I got was "he should be getting level 5s but..." accompanied by a comprehension test marked at level 3/4 and a predicted 4b at maths when he was hitting 5 last year - and I've got an EP report from last spring showing just how good at maths he's supposed to be! (Mind you, even on ten minutes acquaintance his maths teacher is a total waste of space; I can't totally blame him for switching off, I did too...).

Sally-Anne, thanks for that! If I hadn't been at the birth I'd suspect we'd got a clone! It's horrifying to think that it might not actually get any better though... (I know I've gone quiet about the other thing, by the way - we still had some admissions hoops to jump through with that school so I decided not to pursue it in case I was mistaken.)

Last year we made him sit though his sister's parents' evening; it was a huge shock for him and I think it actually made him sit up and make an effort. The effect seems to have worn off now, but he can kiss his birthday tank-driving day goodbye unless he pulls his socks up.

Mike
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The diet in Y6 can be very boring - especially for bright boys - test papers after test papers after test papers ....

He sounds like a normal bright boy to me - ready for the challenge of Secondary and I expect he'll 'turn it on' for the actual KS2 tests!
KES Parent

Re: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhh

Post by KES Parent »

mike1880 wrote:Just home from parents' evening. Gloom....

I don't know why we're bothering, or maybe we're just fooling ourselves that he's got the ability to get into GS.

I DO know that if he doesn't get into GS I am NOT paying out £9k a year for the privilege of him choosing not to participate in the attempt to educate him. He can go to our local comp and see how he likes it.

Mike
Ha, ha, well said Mike! Much better to have made that decision now than to be thinking that 7 years down the line! :roll:
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Well, we haven't got the option yet anyway - and if he went about the KES exam the same way, I won't even have to think about it! Roll on Saturday :?

Mike
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now