Being P.C

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bewildered

Being P.C

Post by Bewildered »

Chris Woodhead wrote:One of my Sunday Times readers wrote in recently to ask why her son’s headmaster was so reluctant to tell parents whether children had passed or failed internal school examinations. His line was that school tests were meant to diagnose weaknesses rather than to give a clear view of a pupil’s grasp of the subject. He wanted to help his pupils do better and he was worried that honesty might demotivate pupils who were not achieving very much. Did I, she asked, think this was a very sensible idea? I replied that I did not.
Taken from yesterdays Times Article.
T.i.p.s.y wrote: A parent should be told if their child is on a register. Why should a school hold information about a child and the parent not know? It is a parents right to know all information pertaining to their child.
Dad40 wrote:Thanks Guest55. I now might suggest this to the Head although I'll probably get a lecture about unduly worrying the kids or 'elitism'.
Strange that I came across all these recently. Even watching the Wright Stuff, one of the recent questions debated was something along the lines of, 'Are we too sensitive, and becoming far too P.C?'

As a parent I want to know how my child is getting on at school.
I have been extremely frustrated by the lack of information on my DC at primary school. As Tipsy says 'It is a parents right to know all information pertaining to their child'. Well, yes, that's what I thought too. In reality, this P.C lark has pretty much been the culprit in scuppering my illusions.

If there is a conundrum, I feel far less bewildered once I understand the reasons behind it. I may not agree with them, but understanding helps ease the frustration and Bewilderment. :D

Luckily, I have seen that Secondary schools do value academia. So once DC leave Primary it's no longer such an uphill struggle. (fingers crossed)