SUNBURN/TAN ISSUES

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ambridge

SUNBURN/TAN ISSUES

Post by Ambridge »

Going away in May half term to Egypt - have been before so know a lot of plus and minuses but....

Sun tanning - I know, don't do it!!!

But...kids will be wearing a high factor 'all day' lotion which we have found fab in the past plus sun protection tops and hats for the first few days at least. All of us tan well so burning is not a huge issue but inevitably someone gets a sore nose, back of neck, knee, foot something completely obscure

About 15 years ago in The States there used to be a spray on lotion sort of a strong calamine which along with a warm bath you would spray on and within hours there would be virtually no redness and the soreness had disappeared, needless to say you coat that area and protect it from the sun the next day but can I remember its' name NOOOOO...I have googled various products and they are all 'moisturiser based' cosmetic jobbies as oppose to medicinal.

So my question is, other than Aloe Vera which is soothing but not an instant remedy for that sore front of foot or my cleavage :wink: , does anyone have any concoctions JUST IN CASE we/I need it.

All hints and tips much appreciated especially as kids will be doing all sorts of water sports and although we avoid the obvious hot hot times to go out, I do want to be prepared.

Thanking you in advance

Ambridge
lion63

Post by lion63 »

Band-Aid Calamine Spray 4oz (Johnson and Johnson's): don't think it's stocked in the UK.

Good health/pharmacy shops abroad normally stock Band-Aid brands.
Maybe your local chemist might order it for you or get direct via internet shopping.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000537X4/ref ... nkCode=asn

Hope it's ok to recommend this.
Another worried Mum

Sunburn Help

Post by Another worried Mum »

This may sound really bizarre but...

many years ago I was on holiday with my mum in Greece and we both got a bit burnt on the back of the knees after going on a long walk. We went into a local shop looking for burn cream. The local (greek) lady owner told us not to bother with expensive creams, then went into the garden of her shop and picked us a couple of lemons from her trees. She told us to slice these and rub them onto the skin.

We were both rather sceptical (especially mum as a nurse) but couldn't buy any cream anyway, so tried the lemons.

AND IT WORKED :lol:

I understand that limes work too!
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

I would strongly suggest not getting burnt, therefore you will not need a remedy. You wisely use an all day lotion and spf clothing. I too do this with my children in that part of the world, but I do repeat the applications of lotion even though it is an all day lotion. Completely avoid the midday sun hours, and cover up cover up cover up! It works for my children and (touch wood) they do not get burnt at all. Skin damage cannot be taken away by any remedy, I'm sure.

I'm sure you will have a lovely holiday. :)
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

A little off topic, but a huge tip on the problem of mozzy bites.

When I was a gal I used to travel the world with my best mate, who was a real mozzy magnet - the ideal travelling companion! :lol:

However, once we went our separate ways for holidays with hubbies and kids, I found out that I was actually the family mozzy magnet. :(

The most magical stuff for mozzy bites is called Euceta - it takes all the itch away immediately, and it stays away. Great stuff, and a quick Google will turn up a few European websites that sell it. It is definitely not available in this country, but if anyone knows of an identical product by a different name, please let me know - I am still importing annual supplies via friends in Switzerland, Austria and Germany, 20 years on!

S-A
sp

Post by sp »

My DD is another bug magnet and has really bad reactions to the bites. There she is trying to look cool in her shorts and her legs are covered in massive red lumps! Poor girl. Then we discovered patches called Don't Bite Me and use them allsummer. We cut the patches in half as she is 11 but they stay on for 2 days even on holiday mainly consisting of hours in the pool, lotions etc. Now she rarely gets any bites at all! I think they contain Vitamin B and Aloe Vera with no chemicals.
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

Thanks for the tips about insect bites, I think I'm going to buy some patches and cream.

My DD1 is a mozzie-magnet, (what a wonderful word!) and only one small bite on her leg causes her great distress as her leg swells from ankle to thigh in a few minutes, becomes hot and tight and then she starts throwing up. It takes days for the swelling to go down and she literally cannot walk on the leg as it's so painfull. She's been sent home from school several times and she's ended up in A&E with breathing problems, only to end up waiting a few hours, to be told it would be better if she wasn't bitten in the first place. Duh!
I don't want to spray on that Jungle stuff all the time - have you seen the chemicals in it? So she takes anti-histamine every day and gets sprayed with an anti-mozzie spray with more natural stuff in it.

I'm open for ideas to help her so thank a lot! :lol:
Fatandfifty

Sun tanning lotion

Post by Fatandfifty »

I think the spray was called Novocaine but whether its still available is another matter.
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

Novacaine - well done FandF - however, just googled it and it is quite obvioiusly no longer available to get rid of a sun burnt foot or over-pinked cleavage. Very useful though before plastic surgery, botox, toothache, 'adult' use :roll: - so it looks like I will be very careful or stick with Aloe Vera.

Thanks for everyones' hints and tips, very useful.

Just to say I went on a 'real travellers' website and mossies hate Vit B1 so a minimal daily tablet dose a week before you travel and daily whilst abroad is advised (although it can occassionally cause stomach upset so beware) and Cictricidal (grapefruit seed extract) tablets for keeping the gut moving nicely and avoiding upset tummies.

Ambridge x
solimum

Post by solimum »

Have a great time Ambridge - it must be rare for you to get away from Borsetshire!