Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:09 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: CGP Maths Paper
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:41 pm
Posts: 133
Location: Surrey
Hi all, finally managed to get DD off the computer (Mum...I was following T.i.p.s.y's advice!)

DD is stuck on a question on the CGP Maths Paper 1 Test A (No Calculator).
Question 15 a)

The table below shows the car parking charges in the town where Yuan and Rachel live.
This is the table:

Time Cost
up to 2 hours 70p
up to 3 hours £1.30
up to 4 hours £1.80
up to 5 hours £2.20
over 5 hours £5.70

Yuan's dad parked his car at 10.20am. He left the car park at 2.10pm.
How much will he have to pay?

Clearly, the time his dad left the car was 3 hours 50 minutes.
DD answered £1.80 but correct answer was £1.30.

I am completely stumped by this and don't know how to explain or the actual theory behind it.

Please help??
LQ

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:21 pm
Posts: 11952
It could be a misprint ...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:41 pm
Posts: 133
Location: Surrey
Er...
DD said that her teacher even explained it to her and the rest of the class but she said it all sounded like gobbledegook. On her paper, it is written:
3 hours 50 mins is still in the £1.30 bracket!

???

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:21 pm
Posts: 11952
You are correct - the '3' in the answer is probably a misprint or one of the times given is wrong.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:16 pm 
LuluQueen wrote:
Er...
DD said that her teacher even explained it to her and the rest of the class but she said it all sounded like gobbledegook. On her paper, it is written:
3 hours 50 mins is still in the £1.30 bracket!

???


It could well be £1.30 for the teacher. But the answer to the question in my area is £61.30.

Here's the working:
Total time parked: 3 hrs 50mins

Money Paid: £1.30
Penalty Charge: 60.00

Total Cost: £61.30 :lol:


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:51 am
Posts: 8113
Flamenco wrote:
LuluQueen wrote:
Er...
DD said that her teacher even explained it to her and the rest of the class but she said it all sounded like gobbledegook. On her paper, it is written:
3 hours 50 mins is still in the £1.30 bracket!

???


It could well be £1.30 for the teacher. But the answer to the question in my area is £61.30.

Here's the working:
Total time parked: 3 hrs 50mins

Money Paid: £1.30
Penalty Charge: 60.00

Total Cost: £61.30 :lol:


Love it!! perhaps that is really the answer!!!! :wink: :wink:

Reckon it must be a misprint otherwise the first hour would be always be free....??? so where is this car park then - why aren;t we having a get together in it?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:27 pm 
Quote:
Hi all, finally managed to get DD off the computer (Mum...I was following T.i.p.s.y's advice!)


I may have impressed someone at last. :o Of course your DD is VERY clever and has a larger vocab than me! :shock: How are her manipulating skills? :lol:


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: CGP Maths Paper
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:31 pm
Posts: 1192
Is the charging 24hrs a day? or does it start... say at 11:00?

Did you give us the whole question?

_________________
Animis opibusque parati


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:41 pm
Posts: 133
Location: Surrey
Whoops

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:41 pm
Posts: 133
Location: Surrey
T.i.p.s.y wrote:
Quote:
Hi all, finally managed to get DD off the computer (Mum...I was following T.i.p.s.y's advice!)


I may have impressed someone at last. :o Of course your DD is VERY clever and has a larger vocab than me! :shock: How are her manipulating skills? :lol:


DD says thanks.
Erm, they are sastisfactory, able to get round rock solid me!
:lol: :lol:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016