Science

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
T.i.p.s.y

Science

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I keep hearing conflicting info about science syllabi in schools. Am I right in thinking that schools do not dissect animals in Biology - even A'level - but if this is wrong at what age do they start and what is dissected?
watmum

Post by watmum »

Certainly up to GCSE. my child did single sciences (separate Phys, Chem and Bio) and did not disect in GCSE Bio.
My understanding for A level is that disection can still form a part of the course but it is very much an option, and students can elect not to take part in it, (we were forced in the 70's LOL, I still remember the sheeps eye...) Having said this, my child did not do A level Bio herself just the Phys and Chem.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Have checked with my other half who teaches A level Biology.

Watmum is correct, this is normally a voluntary option but not a madatory part of the sylabus.

Normally A2 only and those students that wish to do this club togther and buy a Rat for the disection practicals.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Yes, that is also the case at DS’s school (Bucks), optional only. Do you think they should be chopping things up earlier then Tipsy? :lol:
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

It's easy to overestimate how much carvery there was in the good old days. I did Biology and Human Biology GCSEs in the 70s and all we cut up was an earthworm and a cow's heart. It wasn't voluntary though...

Mike
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I dissected rat's legs, an egg (to see the embryo) worms and an eyeball in A level biology

Some of the girl's were extremely squeamish , so I would cut up their specimens when the teacher's back was turned, for a suitable reward of course..I believe the going rate was a mars bar

(PS I also did a good line in love letters....)
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

KenR wrote: those students that wish to do this club togther and buy a Rat for the disection practicals.

Buy a rat? BUY A RAT???? You can find them within yards of your habitat, why buy a rat?

They should be sent out to trap and kill them, thus learning even more skills :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

At an Open Day last year there were plenty of dissected rats and Yr 7 boys happily describing the bits.
Animis opibusque parati
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Snowdrops wrote:
KenR wrote: those students that wish to do this club togther and buy a Rat for the disection practicals.

Buy a rat? BUY A RAT???? You can find them within yards of your habitat, why buy a rat?

They should be sent out to trap and kill them, thus learning even more skills :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If only I had thought of that I could have added it to my scams....

*sigh* no wonder I never made my first million
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

My kids were involved in dissection (pig's heart) in an optional basis in years 10 and 11, but it was compulsory in Y!2 Biology. They also had an eye to cut up !
25 years ago as part of Higher biology, we had to dissect a rabbit, blow up some animal's lungs with a bicyle pump, and do something unspeakable to another animal's heart (I think it was possibly a pig also) - however you could opt out if you were sqeamish (which I was) :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now