Go to navigation
It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:33 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:09 pm
Posts: 218
Hi

My DS started learning German in y7 for the first time and he was given a level 6 in his work.

I just wonder what should be the expected level in y7 German if he has never learnt the language before ?

Thanks in advance.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:16 pm
Posts: 2113
essex-mum18 wrote:
Hi

My DS started learning German in y7 for the first time and he was given a level 6 in his work.

I just wonder what should be the expected level in y7 German if he has never learnt the language before ?

Thanks in advance.

DD1 got mid 6 in yr 7 and up three sub levels yr 8.She is at the school across the road to your son(I think).My understanding it that they aim for secure level 7 by the end of KS3, which for them comes at end of year 8.

hope that helps 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:09 pm
Posts: 218
Hi, CM

Thanks for your prompt reply. Yes, my son is studying at KEGS and just across the road to County High.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:21 pm
Posts: 11936
In languages I think level 4 is OK by the end of Y7 ... especially in those they have not studied before.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:16 pm
Posts: 2113
I know that at DD's school, at the first parent's evening Level 7 by the end of KS3 was given as a stated aim by a language teacher.I suspect KEGs would be very much the same.
That said it is an extremely good result. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:09 pm
Posts: 218
Guest55

Thanks for the info.

CM

Thanks. We missed the language teacher at the first parent evening because he was fully booked for the appointments. Therefore, I had no chance to talk to him and did not know the expected level. My son is very happy because he has got very good results for the end of the year exams and will be in the top set for Maths next year. Now, at least I know he is doing well in language which was always my weak subject at school :cry:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:16 pm
Posts: 2113
essex-mum18 wrote:
Guest55

Thanks for the info.

CM

Thanks. We missed the language teacher at the first parent evening because he was fully booked for the appointments. Therefore, I had no chance to talk to him and did not know the expected level. My son is very happy because he has got very good results for the end of the year exams and will be in the top set for Maths next year. Now, at least I know he is doing well in language which is always my weak subject at school :cry:


There will always be a range despite the school wanting level 7 but he is right on course to achieve that. :D Sounds like he is doing really well.
:D :D
Hope DD2 does ok :?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:09 pm
Posts: 218
Chelmsford mum wrote:

There will always be a range despite the school wanting level 7 but he is right on course to achieve that. :D Sounds like he is doing really well.
:D :D
Hope DD2 does ok :?


I am sure your DD2 will enjoy the new school in Sept . County High is a lovely school and my son knows a few girls there by going to disco and on the train journey.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:17 pm
Posts: 119
Location: Buckinghamshire
At my children's school it would be very rare to get above a 4 at yr 7 german after one year but they all go on to get A and A* at GCSE.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016