Go to navigation
It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:33 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:31 pm 

Hi

My DS started learning German in y7 for the first time and he was given a level 6 in his work.

I just wonder what should be the expected level in y7 German if he has never learnt the language before ?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:07 pm 

essex-mum18 wrote:
Hi

My DS started learning German in y7 for the first time and he was given a level 6 in his work.

I just wonder what should be the expected level in y7 German if he has never learnt the language before ?

Thanks in advance.

DD1 got mid 6 in yr 7 and up three sub levels yr 8.She is at the school across the road to your son(I think).My understanding it that they aim for secure level 7 by the end of KS3, which for them comes at end of year 8.

hope that helps 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:19 pm 

Hi, CM

Thanks for your prompt reply. Yes, my son is studying at KEGS and just across the road to County High.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:22 pm 

In languages I think level 4 is OK by the end of Y7 ... especially in those they have not studied before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:36 pm 

I know that at DD's school, at the first parent's evening Level 7 by the end of KS3 was given as a stated aim by a language teacher.I suspect KEGs would be very much the same.
That said it is an extremely good result. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:57 pm 

Guest55

Thanks for the info.

CM

Thanks. We missed the language teacher at the first parent evening because he was fully booked for the appointments. Therefore, I had no chance to talk to him and did not know the expected level. My son is very happy because he has got very good results for the end of the year exams and will be in the top set for Maths next year. Now, at least I know he is doing well in language which was always my weak subject at school :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:59 pm 

essex-mum18 wrote:
Guest55

Thanks for the info.

CM

Thanks. We missed the language teacher at the first parent evening because he was fully booked for the appointments. Therefore, I had no chance to talk to him and did not know the expected level. My son is very happy because he has got very good results for the end of the year exams and will be in the top set for Maths next year. Now, at least I know he is doing well in language which is always my weak subject at school :cry:

There will always be a range despite the school wanting level 7 but he is right on course to achieve that. :D Sounds like he is doing really well.
:D :D
Hope DD2 does ok :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:18 pm 

Chelmsford mum wrote:

There will always be a range despite the school wanting level 7 but he is right on course to achieve that. :D Sounds like he is doing really well.
:D :D
Hope DD2 does ok :?

I am sure your DD2 will enjoy the new school in Sept . County High is a lovely school and my son knows a few girls there by going to disco and on the train journey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:54 pm 

At my children's school it would be very rare to get above a 4 at yr 7 german after one year but they all go on to get A and A* at GCSE.