Vertical Tutoring

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Warks mum wrote:Just in case there are any prospective parents reading this who know which school magwich2's daughters attend, may I say my daughter goes there too and magwich2's description does not reflect our experience at all!

Sometimes it's a good thing we're all different...

:lol: :lol: :lol: It just made me smile.I suspect any girls' school has a few of those orange types described.Never seen any snogging through the fence at our school though....shocking :shock: :shock: :shock:

I am joking BTW.I am sure there are not representative.They could try electrifying the fence or would that be a bit excessive......
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

DS school has always had vertical tutoring. Dependent on their progress they move up a Form each term if they are in the top 3rd of their current class with kids staying an average of two terms in a Form but a child who is weaker academically can stay up to six terms in the same form. There are so many different age groups in each Form that the kids do not even notice how old or how bright each kid is and it actually stops the few at the top and bottom of the academic spectrum always remaining at the bottom or top because the moment a bright child moves into another form the child who is staying already knows more of the syllabus. The child who has remained gains confidence by being initially brighter than the new pupils coming into the Form and this builds self esteem.

All sport, drama, extra-curric and boarding is done with the correct age group. It really works - sounds bizarre but I've never seen such a happier group of kids who all thrive academically.

EDIT: Sorry I thought you meant academically. :oops: The system you mention happens at independent schools which have day and boarding houses and boarding tends not to happen as the older kids look out for the younger ones
fm

Post by fm »

Ah, that makes me quite nostalgic for my eldest daughter and her disasters with fake tan. Oddly enough this didn't stop her achieving all A* and A's or being well liked by almost every adult she meets in the real world or being well-regarded at the shop she works to pay herself through university.

Meanwhile my youngest would adore to be Paris Hilton's friend. She thinks she seems a really nice, kind person. And yes, I admit it, she has a tendency to sneer a little at children who have a fit of the vapours if they score less than 95%.

I think I may have the sort of children from whom you want to keep your children, Magwich.
Sally Herts

Post by Sally Herts »

I went to a "nice" private school many years ago, which had vertical tutoring. It did seem to work well, as you got to know people in other years, good and bad, as in life.

Quite a few of the girls would arrange to meet up with boys (through CB radio rather than the internet in my day!) at the far end of the school field. :shock: (Not me, incidentally...!) It takes all sorts.

I think it’s always happened. The girls all turned out nice and normal though...
serialtester

Post by serialtester »

I went to see a boys school where this has been implemented. It seemed to work very well, it helped to reduce bullying, made the older lads feel all responsible and assisted the younger lads (new Y7's) with settling in.

It doesn't matter what the form/house/class structure is kids will still have to deal with other kids that they might not like.
Katherine66

Post by Katherine66 »

Just to back up Warks mum - our DD also goes to the same school as Magwich2's daughters - our experience of the school has, like Warks mum's, been entirely different to that expressed by Magwich. We are absolutely delighted with the school, our daughter couldn't be happier. Makes me wonder whether they are actually at the same place!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now