Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:56 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: school reports
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:16 pm 

What do other parents do when DC's report comes home and contains impertinent and inaccurate comments from a teacher?
Don't get me wrong - I know DC's faults and am quite able to take criticism of my children but the remarks were nothing to do with academic work. I also know that I am not the only parent to have an issue about this teacher and her comments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:52 pm 

I am not saying that the comments were approporiate but I do think that teachers should be able to make comments that are relevent to a child's behaviour, attitude, development etc as well as academic progress.

In most schools the reports are seen by the Head of Year or similar (who usually adds general comments). In theory therefore a member of the management team should have checked the report before it left the school. In practice I would imagine that they only scan through & could have missed the comments you are referring to.

I would suggest that you contact the Head of Year and ask to speak to them to explain your feelings. If you dont get a satsifactory response then ask for it to be escalated.

If other parents have mentioned their concerns to you then I would suggest to them that they raise any issues direct with the school. I would say that it will be much more effective if the school receives a number of independent 'complaints' rather than from one parent expressing the views of several others.

These sorts of issues are really difficult to deal with - I hope you get a positive response from the school.