How long does it take for a June born child to catch up?

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Nathair

Post by Nathair »

I have 2 DD's. The eldest one is 11 in two weeks, so end of May birthday, DD2 is early October born. The elder one has always been taller, more mature, and far ahead of her class mates ( :oops: I'm not boasting, it's just true) DD2, is one of the oldest in her class, and although she isn't small, or behind the rest of the class, she is not as advanced as her sister was at the same point.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10100;430/st/20100902/e/DD+Starts+Senior+School/dt/5/k/bbdb/event.png[/img]
Milla

Post by Milla »

precisely - they are what they are!
KB

Post by KB »

I think there was consensus that Summer babies did less well at school - especially at primary school - when they didn't start school until the Summer term. So thet moved up to the equivalent of year 1 after just a term in Year R wheras others would have been at school for 3 terms.

This was one of the reasons for the move towards all children starting at school in the September of the year that they become 5. If the policy has worked then the difference should be ironed out much sooner in the school career.
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

KB wrote:I think there was consensus that Summer babies did less well at school - especially at primary school - when they didn't start school until the Summer term. So they moved up to the equivalent of year 1 after just a term in Year R wheras others would have been at school for 3 terms.
My DD, who'll be starting her 'big' school :shock: in September was one of those who only had 1 term in Reception (August born). She was then on catch-up in Y1. Fortunately being the type of child she was, by the January of that school year she had caught up. She made friends with the oldest in her year, as that was the level she was working at, which I feel helped her emotional development too. The only thing I would say is that when she is with her friends ... all of whom will be turning 12 later this year :shock: she is still only 10 waiting to be 11 and physically there is a difference. It seems that since turning 11 the girls have suddenly grown up and my DD is just waiting in the wings!!

But as we all know ... they all get there in the end!!!
Heartmum x x x
KS10

Post by KS10 »

My DD is 8 going on 18. I don't suppose the month in which she was born has anything to do with this. She has had 3 inexperienced teachers in a row and I have contacted the school to ask if she can have someone older and/or more experienced next year. She thinks all teachers are young, female and her friend. Don't want her to be one of those precocious types.
andyb

Post by andyb »

DS1 has a July birthday and has not seemed at all disadvantaged academically despite the fact he has been in school for a shorter period of time than many of his peers. He started GS last September and has not struggled with the change any more or less than his friends. The only issue we have had is when he wants to go out on his own to meet up with his friends - some of them will be 13 in September/October and have more freedom whereas he's not yet 12 so I like to know what he's up to. Fortunately he is also friendly with "summer" boys who have similar limitations placed on their wanderings so he knows it's not just me being mean!
solimum

Post by solimum »

He'll be the last one learning to drive too - dare you let him out in cars driven by his older friends??? (food for thought for the distant future!)
KB

Post by KB »

even more of an issue - the last one able to go out drinking (legally)....
Nathair

Post by Nathair »

KB wrote:even more of an issue - the last one able to go out drinking (legally)....
Ah, but if he's canny, it can work out quite well that one...
16 or 17 years old
Young people aged 16 or 17 can drink beer, wine or cider with a meal if it is bought by an adult and they are accompanied by an adult. It is illegal for this age group to drink spirits in pubs even with a meal.
In Scotland, 16 and 17 year olds can buy beer, wine or cider so long as it's served with a meal and consumed in an area used solely for eating meals.
"Sorry, I can't buy my own yet, you'll have to buy me one. Oh, and I'll have the steak and chips while your at it. What? It's the law!" :lol:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10100;430/st/20100902/e/DD+Starts+Senior+School/dt/5/k/bbdb/event.png[/img]
KB

Post by KB »

Except they usually go out to pubs/bars not restaurants :)

The biggest problem in this area is that the town pubs won't even let the under 18s in - so unless they use illegal fake ID they can't even go out with their older mates.