Query about starting at secondary school

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
yoyo123

Re: Query about starting at secondary school

Post by yoyo123 »

our report always had a space for parents' comments. I think you should ask to speak to someone about it. you are leaving the school ( Unless there are younger siblings) go for it!
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

but state primaries send school record (which includes copies of all reports)
Whooh now I am worried.

Academically my DS2s report is glowing but the teacher's comment mentions challenging behaviour. This was down to the number of different teachers that he has had to put up with this year ( 4 different class teachers two students and various supply teachers) and, in one of the present class teachers own words at parents evening (not the one who wrote the report), a lack of challenging work and peers of his ability to work with (small school). Obviously none of this is written on the report! He has always been a chatter box but apart from that is actually very unchallenging and the sort of pupil that thrives on praise etc.

I have taken it on the chin but am now thinking I should have a word with the head. I do not want his new school to get a totally wrong impression of my son because of the schools problems with staffing.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

mind you whether they actually read them is another matter!
piwoodhouse

Post by piwoodhouse »

I wouldn't be bothered at all about the secondary school, but if I received a very inaccurate report about one of my children, I don't think I'd be able to resist challenging it for my own and my child's satisfaction.

After speaking with him on the telephone, I am certainly challenging it; I asked him why we had never been informed of any problems since at Parents Evening and on her December report card she'd got an A1 grade and he absolutely blew up about it, telling me he was "always" complaining about it to me. I have had only two discussions with this man in the entire academic year and in neither of him did he ever speak about my daughter in less than glowing terms. His manner on the phone was shocking - rude, aggressive, interrupting me at every turn - just plain nasty. I became terribly upset during this telephone call and accused him of lying but in turn he told me I was "deluded", "hysterical" and "selective in my memory". He finished by saying he didn't like being called a liar and slammed the telephone down.

The irony of all this is because my son has Asperger's Syndrome I am very aware of ensuring both children get whatever they need, be it any help, resource, book, prodding, encouraging; heck I even wrangled my way onto a teacher's conference about Asperger's to help me keep up with new developments. I get along brilliantly with the other teachers and the SENCOs are a delight. To be accused of not acting in my daughter's interests is ludicrous. As a parent I am always prepared to fix things but equally, the school needs to tell when they're broken.

As a result, my husband and I have written to complain. I suspect it will get buried as this teacher is actually the Deputy Head, but if we don't speak up, this could happen again. Will let you know what happens.
Amber

Post by Amber »

This teacher's outrageous rudeness should be reported in writing to the Chair of Governors, and the term 'formal complaint' should be included somewhere towards the beginning of your letter. This will ensure that they have to investigate and not just fob you off. Don't bother sending it to the Head, he will hear about it soon enough. Whether or not your child is 'guilty' of any of the issues in the report, there is absolutely no excuse for this kind of unprofessional behaviour, and the man in question does nothing to serve himself or the wider teaching profession by it. Try to write down somewhere as much of what he actually said as possible, to strengthen your case when the Chair of Governors asks to see you, which I think he will be duty-bound to do.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I agree with Amber, I wouldn;t normally suggest going straight to Governors but in case like this you should. It is wholly unprofessional.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Especially as it was the DEPUTY HEAD who made the comments. Disgraceful!!!
zorro

Post by zorro »

Agree, teacher out of order.
My DS had a report sent from his primary school when he started at indie 2 yrs ago. We were told that the school actually takes this report into consideration along with Head's interview and entrance exam results when deciding who got a place. But if DC already have a place I wouldn't think it was very important.
piwoodhouse

Post by piwoodhouse »

Well, we're having a meeting with the headmistress this afternoon at 3.30pm. I don't know if the Deputy Head will be there too. Will let you know what happens.
jingle

Post by jingle »

Good for you! Hope it goes well for you and you can reach a satisfactory conclusion. Best of luck also with the new school.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now