When to stop monitoring/inteferring with school work and tst

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hermanmunster

Re: When to stop monitoring/inteferring with school work and

Post by hermanmunster »

depends so much on the child and the school ... have let my kids get on with it since year 3... seems OK.

But remember friend going to parents evening at indie prep to be told of course "H would do much better if her mother wasn't so busy doing exams...." :shock: personally I thought she was setting a good example!
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

wonderwoman wrote: As a Y5 / Y6 teacher I remind parents that homework is the child's, they need to take responsibility for it and get into a routine which will help them at secondary school.
That is what I was told when my DS was in year 6.

My DS is a typical bright lazy boy so its important that he learns to motivate himself and he does manage to get stuff done on time most of the time.
zorro

Post by zorro »

Moved, does your DS not have a homework diary? That way you know what work they have, when it is due in and whether they have done it. Much easier to nag when you are well informed! :wink:
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

zorro wrote:Moved, does your DS not have a homework diary? That way you know what work they have, when it is due in and whether they have done it. Much easier to nag when you are well informed! :wink:
yes i use the planner to make sure dd is up to date on homework - but tonight she brought someone else home! :shock:
moved

Post by moved »

Oh yes, however, it is often lost, not filled in, generally forgotten. I read it when I can. We had a good patch, then it was lost for a week, found for a teacher to write in that homework not done completely and now back in use with homework being done.

At the school where I teach all HW goes on our virtual site and parents can check what has been set. It's a pain for staff but I can see the use for parents.

He seems to have good intentions, but life just gets in the way! If not the computer then a good book or the latest is watching the news!
TP123

Post by TP123 »

We put up the whiteboard (which was in the loft for a year) up in DS's bedroom this weekend - and we are going to use the rolling h/w plan - thanks for that tip!

I am trying VERY HARD to not monitor as much and nag as much and might wait to see how the school feeds back on that. If its an issue that Yr 7 is probably the best year to experiment with it (?).
marigold

Post by marigold »

I am so ashamed.

My son remembered at 7.30 this morning that he had forgotten to colour in a map for his homework, the lesson is this morning.
While he was eating his breakfast, I did it for him.

I am aware a teacher from his school is a member of this forum and if he /she ever looks at this I shall deny all knowledge and possibly leave the country. I know I should let him face the consequences but he is still my baby boy and I just can't help it.
mad?

Post by mad? »

marigold wrote:I am so ashamed...

I know I should let him face the consequences but he is still my baby boy and I just can't help it.
Don't be ashamed. Bet the colouring was fun! :D
mad?
SSM

Post by SSM »

I didn't really monitor hw, told them to do it and then asked if it was done. Then my DS got a detention for not submitting 5 pieces of hw over a 2 week period (at his school they get a signature for misdemeanors eg no hw, untidy uniform, and 5 signatures in a term means a detention). I was fuming as he always told me it was done. :evil:

The thing that I also found very strange to comprehend was why he hadn't had the common sense to do the last piece of hw as he knew it would lead to a dentention. :evil:

I now check every piece of hw before signing his hw diary. I also made he do all the hws that he missed (even though not all the teachers had asked to see it), his response was 'if the teachers don't want to see it then why do I have to do it?' My response to that was 'so that you don't think that you can get away without doing 5 pieces of hw and only having to do a 1/2 hour detention. This way, not it wastes more of your time and you're more likely to learn from it.'
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now