Levels and CATS

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tiredmum

Re: Levels and CATS

Post by tiredmum »

hi Mc
my dd2 told me that at the end of year 7 they are expected to be at about a 6b - this is what she has gleaned from the teachers - this would then put them on target for 7's at he end of yr 8.

My dd1 who is in year 11 now was only at a 5a in maths at the end of year7 but at the end of year 8 was a 7b. So its really difficult to gage i think.

What did the letter say?
MasterChief

Post by MasterChief »

tiredmum wrote: What did the letter say?
Hi Tiredmum,

Words to the effect that DS is supposed to attain his set target by the end of the year and that he is 80 points away from attaining this. DS is very upset, as are we, as his results seem on a par with most of his peers and the suggested 40 minutes per subject for homework is regularly exceeded. He's a bright boy but sensitive to criticism and this may just tip him over into disliking school again after only just settling in.
"We've got a date with Destiny and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

this may be a standard letter - do you know any other parents and how many points their dc's are from target? But i agree it is important to keep dc positive about school and his ability.
WorriedRuby

Post by WorriedRuby »

can any one please tell me what level is expected in English at end of year 7?
Morning Glory

Post by Morning Glory »

We have had baseline assessments for DS and then End of Year Targets. Today we got levels to date, we have a real mixed bunch, 3 core subjects he has already reached his EOY Target, some he is steadily improving and other he has made no progress at all.

On the ones that he has already reached his EOY Target not sure whether when he did his baseline assessment (settling into new school etc.) he didn't do as well as he could and these should have been set higher. We have parents evening in a few weeks so will have to ask then.