Extra Support at Grammar?

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mum

Post by mum »

Makes me question my decision to get him into Grammar (we got through on appeal)?? Special needs at Grammar or Gifted and Talented at Comp?????
we were always 200% for the grammar schoos for our daughter (recognised as bright by all her teachers), but your last post is making me having a second thought now. But its not the academics that is to be concerned in the local comp. schools, but its the general attitude of the children that worries me..........
mum
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Our local Grammar, Recognises in their prospectus that ALL their children are Gifted and Talented!! :)

I would of thought that held true for all grammar schools. Top 5% etc etc...
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Anonymous wrote:Special needs at Grammar or Gifted and Talented at Comp?????Guest40
I have the feeling that you are overreacting. Your child's grammar wants him to excell. This doesn't make him a special need!

mum wrote:your last post is making me having a second thought now. But its not the academics that is to be concerned in the local comp. schools, but its the general attitude of the children that worries me..........
In addition, many Grammars offer a wider curriculum and more extra curricular activities.

PS: If you don't mind, I think that this topic should be moved to the Beyond 11+' section

Post by Guest »

Hi Cathrine, Thanks for your comments, however it wasnt me that mentioned the SEN teacher but the school and where you hear the words SEN Im sure you'll agree that it would make any parent panic or at least be worried - yourself included! <aybe whe i hear back from the school things will be clearer but it is nice to be able to share feelings on this site and to hear other peoples experiences and thoughts.

With regards to moving to the other section - good idea but i dont know how to!!!!

Thanks

Guest 40

Post by Guest »

Catherine - gather the move was down to you? Thank You

Guest 40
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

No, I haven't got the power.. I asked forumadmin :D
Jed

Post by Jed »

Like your son's friend, my daughter also achieved 3 x level 5 in SATs, top sets in Bucks primary, missed 11+ score, now at good comp over the border, and put on G&T register within weeks. My impression is she is performing at the top of the school, especially in certain subjects.

This has made her feel good about herself. I think she would have also been fine at a grammar - but not at the top I suspect. It could still be the case that her eventual grades would be better at a grammar, and that a more competitive environment would not have affected her self-esteem. But there is a debate to be had, I think.

Jed

Post by Guest »

My son needed one to one remedial hand writing classes. He still got an A* in the end. Brilliant that the school picked up on it.

Post by Guest »

Patricia, In reply to Guest 40's question you mentioned that Dyslexia is sometimes disgnosed in Yr 7 - how can that happen? If my son can read aloud to me without any problems at all does that mean i can discount it.?
Thanks in advance.

Very Worried Mum :(
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

it's quite common for Secondary schools to pick up dyslexia - if children are bright they can overcome a lot of the problems and get level 3s in KS1 and level 5s in Y6. However as the literacy demands increase these problems are highlighted.

Personally I think all children should be screened - there are computer diagnostic tests that would quickly identify if further more detailed tests were needed.

Guest - look at their writing - is spelling a problem? Are letters reversed?