Level 6 sats in year 6

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

drummer

Re: Level 6 sats in year 6

Post by drummer »

MoJo wrote:year 6 Drummer.....
?

The child I was speaking of (who got high 5s in Y5 but wasn't allowed to do a paper 6 in Y6) is now in Y9 so things may well have changed
KB

Post by KB »

My eldest did level 6 when they were being used the first time around - then they were removed.
The issue is that they haven't covered the work necessary to get a KS3 level 6 so if they are awarded a level 6 at KS2 it then makes it appear that they don't move forward in year 7/8.

I would take the whole KS2 Sats scores with a pinch of salt & try not to let the children worry about them - seeing stress DC is now under with Uni finals 10 years on makes you realise how important it is not to worry too early on!!
XCRGSMUM

Post by XCRGSMUM »

It was stopped according to the DfE bod I spoke to a few years back (2003 I think) because parents were using the fact that children had obtained level 6 at Primary School to 'batter' secondary schools when said children were no longer at that standard at the end of yr 7!

(I phoned to check as sons 1 & 2 both did level 6 in yr 6 but son no 3 was not allowed to.)

The bod at the DfE was quite correct because that is exactly what I had done with son no 2 :roll: :D who spent the first two years of his secondary education (local comp) falling further and further behind his set (level 5) targets. Thankfully he joined his brothers at the Grammar School in yr 9 and all turned out extremely well.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

my daughters school didn't do the level 6 papers ( 1st time round)..so she was L5..she was still as clever!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I understand that the level 6 paper will be marked externally next year and have to be sat on a specific date.
mystery

Post by mystery »

XCRGSMum, I would have been tempted to ask the DfE man why the battering by parents was considered a reason by the DfE to drop the level 6 test ......... sounds like a reason why the DfE might continue it to me. Have you advised the coalition govmt this year and that is why the test is back?!!
XCRGSMUM

Post by XCRGSMUM »

I argued the case quite vociferously at the time and actually the bod I was speaking to seemed to agree with me. I am glad it has been re-instated but I don`t think I can claim any of the credit :)

I`d love to be an advisor to the present education decision makers but I doubt they`d like most of what I`d have to say :lol:
mystery

Post by mystery »

Don't underestimate your influence. It was because of your battering they took it away, and because of your opinion they brought it back again!! I wish I could have a fraction of your influence even at a local level - starting with my children perhaps!!
XCRGSMUM

Post by XCRGSMUM »

Whilst I don`t really believe that any one opinion carries great weight I do believe in making that opinion known. If enough people make the same point, politely and reasonably there is always an outside chance of influencing someone, somewhere at sometime! :)