Tuition

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scarlett

Re: Tuition

Post by scarlett »

scary mum wrote: I'm sure yours I'll catch pup very soon.

Ooooh UnScary I'd like an invite to the Summer Pup Catching too. :)

Hi Pushydad. Yes ...I'm sure I'll be pulling workbooks out of the picnic bag during our summer holidays...but I'm going to try not to as this may be the last summer he doesn't have to worry about school work.
Pushy Dad

Post by Pushy Dad »

For us it is the other way round in that THIS will probably be the last summer until GCSES that the kids will have worry about studying.

They need to get up to speed so that they will be equal to their prep school school mates come September. And once they are up to speed the school can keep things ticking over
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I like the double post...for extra emphasis ?!

It all depends on your particular child and the school they are attending, doesn't it ? I can understand your worry that they won't match up to some of the other children at their new school ( although I'm sure they will ) but for my son, he has come such a long way already, I feel he will be up there with the best and also I suppose I have moved on really and am starting things going with my next child and his looming 11 plus !
mystery

Post by mystery »

Ah but you are talking there from the lofty heights of a level 6 !!
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Only for maths, Mystery...he's currently 4b for writing and I've been giving him the 11 plus english papers which up to now have remained crease free in the cellophane as we didn't need to practice the english so much for Kent, did we ? however, it just seems all too much for him and his expression when I whip them out is priceless.I'm going to leave it and just wait and see how he gets on, I think. He does obviously have strengths elsewhere, like all our children or he wouldn't be off to grammar and , for now, that's good enough. Don't want him having a nervous breakdown...that's my domain.
Tewks_Mom

Post by Tewks_Mom »

Hi Pushy Dad

I just wondered where you found these courses for them over the summer? Ds could really do with doing a week computer programming too.
Pushy Dad

Post by Pushy Dad »

Google for PGL activity holidays. They run their courses at venues all over the country so there should be something near you. We know parents who have sent their kids on PGL courses before and they highly recommend PGL.
Tewks_Mom

Post by Tewks_Mom »

Thank you :)
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

I would like to say that my dc's will be doing nothing throughout this holiday however ds1 has to learn Mcbeth :shock: for the school play so I think we will have to spend a few days on that! Otherwise a blissful few weeks of picnics, ice-creams and lashings of ginger beer. :wink: :lol:
I fully expect to see my dc's very little throughout the holidays as they should be out on their bikes etc with their friends. :D
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Oh dear, the person at the beginning wanted help finding a tutor, not comments on the rights and wrongs of having a tutor over the summer between year 6 and year 7.

They know their own circumstances and why the think it would be a good idea. It could even be fun!! Why do people always have to equate extra studying as being the opposite of pleasure, or worse still assume that it could be stressful or worrying. Unfortunately, my children would think the same thing, but I don't know where they got that idea from, it wasn't me. It's genetic from my in-laws' side of the family I think.

I am sorry I don't know the name of a good tutor in Berkshire. I can't find one on my doorstep.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now