Silly question regarding starting secondary schools

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
neurotic kent mum

Re: Silly question regarding starting secondary schools

Post by neurotic kent mum »

Definitely need sticky back plastic. Also if DD need eye liner - or so I have been told!
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Also if DD need eye liner - or so I have been told

Lucky we don't need that - the school has an outright ban on all make-up prior to sixth form :D

The other thing DS was recommended and has found useful is a computer memory stick. This allows easy transfer of half finished work between home and school. He was also told to make a document on it simply stating his name, school and class so if he lost it there was a chance of its return.
sp

Post by sp »

Be warned re memory stick as at DD's school we had to buy from them so they knew it was legit! Not a money making scheme as it was cheaper than buying in shop but maybe be best to wait before wasting any money. Do you know anyone in year above who can advise on what you actually need(big difference from what the school tell you!!)
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

DD's new school doesn't allow fountain pens - only biro!!!
She is in deep mourning for her beautiful pink Lamy pen. :(
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Thank for all your contributions. They've been really useful and I've raided WH Smiths, The Works (paper is cheaper), and only Rymans to go! Yesterday we brought a desk to put in his room so its all feeling really close now.

Only school shoes and sewing name labels on to his uniform to go now!

(PS. I wonder if the above shops have noticed any correlation between sale of foolscap plastic wallets and grammer school areas! - sorry, foolscap wallets were mentioned in another thread).
mad?

Post by mad? »

sp wrote:Be warned re memory stick as at DD's school we had to buy from them so they knew it was legit! Not a money making scheme as it was cheaper than buying in shop but maybe be best to wait before wasting any money. Do you know anyone in year above who can advise on what you actually need(big difference from what the school tell you!!)
Also the school may have a log in system where the kids can log in and access school work from home thus negating the need for a memory stick...
mad?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I found that there were several requests for folders / a5 notebooks given out in specific lessons during the first few weeks. Some could be got from the school shop (quite cheap) or a quick dash to T*sco in the evening
xyzzy

Post by xyzzy »

sp wrote:Be warned re memory stick as at DD's school we had to buy from them so they knew it was legit!
How on earth does that work? Unless they're doing something incredibly exotic with Ironkeys or something (and you'd know that from the hundred pound bill for a single memory stick) how does buying a memory stick from the school make the slightest difference to what's stored on it?
xyzzy

Post by xyzzy »

push-pull-mum wrote:DD's new school doesn't allow fountain pens - only biro!!!
That's not a good sign. It implies that they think there's something wrong with decent hand-writing.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Just back from a mammoth shopping expedition mainly for DS1 stationery....We must have spent 15 minutes just purusing the pen section and I felt really sorry for a little brother who waited patiently next to us whilst his mum and sister chose theirs and then plaintively said he would really like one too ...but was told he didn't need one and was dragged off.I'd be chuffed to bits if DS2 wanted a fountain pen...I had to drag him away from the stretchy lizards.

Haven't bought any notebooks etc yet..will wait and see what they need on that score as , like Herman says..there's always Tescos. What are you buying in Rymans, PC ? Anything I need to know about ?!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now