Silly question regarding starting secondary schools

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
doodles

Re: Silly question regarding starting secondary schools

Post by doodles »

If anybody has a Staples nearby I would give them a try. We get most of our stationery there at the moment, especially the foolscap folders, and their prices seem very competitive. Tescos have some pretty good offers on at the moment too. I try and avoid WHS as I seem to get caught up with the "pretty" rather than practical stationery and come out with an eyewatering bill!
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

Sainsburys is also having a buy one get one free thing on, but my local store only had a limited range.
;D
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

We have finally bought everything DD needs for September - even D width shoes that don't look like orthopedic booties.

Sorry - just dropped in for a gloat. :D
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

I keep finding things to buy. Today I wondered into a bookshop after work and wondered whether he needed a second dictionery, ie. one for his school bag, and one for home (I didn't buy one).
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

pheasantchick wrote:I keep finding things to buy. Today I wondered into a bookshop after work and wondered whether he needed a second dictionery, ie. one for his school bag, and one for home (I didn't buy one).
That way madness lies ....
Confess I did briefly debate buying home and school calculators from the Sainsbury's 2-for-1 but I reckon if she has 2 of something she's more likely to lose 1.
There's 'secondary school stress' logic there somewhere. :D
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I would just like to interject and say that you can never and I repeat never have enough calculators and maths sets. If I had my time over again, I would buy 100 each per child. They are like socks in a washing machine....once out there in a school bag, they might as well be handed to some maths set/calculator monster who eats them, they will never be seen again. And even if your child has them religiously for seven or eight weeks, come an inspection in the maths lesson, they will have disappeared, and YOU THE PARENT will be picking them up from detention. Aaaaargh, always have a spare set of each in the car to be delivered to the child any morning when you remember to ask...'Do you have your maths set/calculator.
I must have given WH Smiths around £5000, and still have a son only going into year nine, although happily today I found a calculator, so fingers crossed we have the first week of year 9 covered :D Another thing to get to the bottom of is how often the teachers inspect whether the kids have these things with them....week 1 is important, I think also week 4/5 then you might be ok till the middle of February. :lol: Also as they move up through the school they can usually threaten a poor little year 7 into handing over as they usually have lots of shiny new calculators and maths sets :lol: This is not considered bullying, just pecking order.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I think my son will be ok on that score, LFH as I have a horrible habit ( or knack) in bringing home calculators from work by mistake and when I take them back I find a brand , new shiny one in it's place....I shall send them to you.....as long as you don't mind having an animals name emblazoned across the front in tippex with 'please leave on ward' also in large letters.

I also have all my son's uniform and it's all laid out like a fourth child waiting for me to hash up the trouser taking up which I'm putting off until the day before . DS2 is getting upset at the thought of his beloved brother being in a different school..but looking at the size of DS1 school bag and pe holdall , I think he might be able to get a sneaky ride in with him each day...

Now, any ideas please on naming rugby boots, pe bags, school bags and do I have to name every single bit of equipment ? i.e his pen ?

Oh, and anyone with a boy at MGS...will he get his dinner card on the first day with the money I sent as a cheque ( which has been cashed ) and also the id code which is needed to top up online ?
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

In G. Boot, I brought some labels to put in the shoes. Another customer near me said they were excellant.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

scarlett wrote:I think my son will be ok on that score, LFH as I have a horrible habit ( or knack) in bringing home calculators from work by mistake and when I take them back I find a brand , new shiny one in it's place....I shall send them to you.....as long as you don't mind having an animals name emblazoned across the front in tippex with 'please leave on ward' also in large letters.
I shall PM you my address :D

I labelled everything belonging to my first child when he went off to secondary school - no matter, it still all got lost :shock: Even the PE kit with his initials embroidered on it :x

My fourth ? Well I think I wrote in biro on the inside of his blazer, but that's about it. He has lost nothing :lol:
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Maybe I'll just wrap him up in brown paper , bag and all with a large label addressed to me. It's got to be less embarrassing for him then me in my tree outfit. ( my anxiety is rubbing off on DH but he's refusing a tree oufit on account of the green tights ).
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now