PRE

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Minesatea

PRE

Post by Minesatea »

I can't keep up with the constant need to change subject names. I learnt RE, my DS does RSS, my DD is apparently doing PRE. Anyone know what this stands for and is it any different or just a new name?
mike1880

Re: PRE

Post by mike1880 »

I expect it's been combined with PE.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

...taught by nuns in trainers ?
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Personally my praying always occurred before PE and went along the lines of" Please let Mrs P be off sick so we can go to the library and do quiet reading instead"!
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

Is it Philosophy and Religious Education? Neice (Year 9) has taken R.E. as one of her options and her current homework is actually philosophy. Suspect it means you have to consider Atheism and Agnosticism as well as different faiths - which is probably a good thing.

I still think of it as 'Scripture' - but I am old. :(

We didn't have P.E. either - we had one lesson of 'Games' (usually lacrosse) and the other of 'P.T.' (an evil kind of 1930s style aerobics.)
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Games was worse by far in our case. PE was just an excuse for mild sadism by the PE teacher (not sure if it's a necessary qualification to be one???) but games was like living a chapter of "A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich". Our playing fields were on a ridge above the town (which is already at pretty respectable altitude) with nothing between us and the wind blowing straight from Siberia. We had to do a cross-country circuit over the ridge and back to school first. The school motto was "Them that dies will be the lucky ones."

Mike
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

We had RI - religious instruction.

OH's dad was a Games Master - I believe there was a prerequisite leaning for sadism as an entry requirement :lol: :lol: :lol:
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I'm having a flashback.............playing netball in winter = red raw hands which tingled for hours afterwards.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I remember it variously as Scripture, RK (Religious Knowledge) and RE.

Sorry I don't remember PE at all :roll:
scary mum
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Yes you do Unscary.You knocked someone out with the shot putt and fell over the hurdles. Or am I thinking of someone else ? .

We had R.E where Rev.Ron told us all about nuclear war.