Go to navigation
It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:29 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Doing it all again ?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:10 am 

Anyone else struggling to motivate themselves to go through the whole process with DC2 ?
I feel the one thing we learnt from last time was to spend enough time going through techique but for now her maths is a major concern and that's where my focus is.
In year 5 is a tutor once a week enough or am I kidding myself ?

Post subject: Re: Doing it all again ?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:52 pm 

Yes I am going through the 'whole process' again. :twisted:
Its a whole new ball game with number two though. Different child, different approach, different bribes. I am tutoring him myself though so no weekly tutor.
It is useful to have been through the process already but only up to a point. DS2 is 'quicker' mentally than DS1 and in some ways brighter but he has definite weaknesses (spelling and handwriting) whereas DS1 was allround high acheiver.
I find that at around this stage in the process I feel the urge to panic and pile on the pressure but I remember from last time how important it is not to do that. We are working steady and regular. I will be so glad when all this is over. It would be so good to have both children at the same (good) school.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:16 pm 

I'm also a little nervous about going through it all again. Before, ignorance was bliss- I had no idea how stressful the whole year wold be. Now I know what the future entails.

Ds 2 s also different to ds1. Ds 1 seemed to grasp concepts, spellings etc a lot more naturally tha ds2, and seemed more willing to do homework etc.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:32 pm 

Third time for us and one more to go the year after next! :shock:

All very different experiences, and progressively more stressful. I'll be a basket case after the last one. :?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:57 pm 

Second (and final, thankfully!) time going through it all here too - DD2 will sit Kent Test in 2012.

It only seems like yesterday that DD1 sat it and the horrid nauseous feeling while waiting for the results email is still too vivid in my mind! Why am I putting myself through this again?!! :shock:

Let the rollercoaster of emotions commence.....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:17 pm 

Second child is only in Year 3 but I'm already having those 'please no, not again feelings.' Whatever that hormone is that enables women to go through childbirth again and again without really remembering the pain should be bottled and sold in Waterstones alongside the Bond practice books.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:09 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:23 pm 

push-pull-mum wrote:
Second child is only in Year 3 but I'm already having those 'please no, not again feelings.' Whatever that hormone is that enables women to go through childbirth again and again without really remembering the pain should be bottled and sold in Waterstones alongside the Bond practice books.

Oxytocin released in huge amounts in labour:...

Certain learning and memory functions are impaired by centrally administered oxytocin. Also, systemic oxytocin administration can impair memory retrieval in certain aversive memory tasks. Interestingly, oxytocin does seem to facilitate learning and memory specifically for social information.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:00 pm 

hermanmunster wrote:
Oxytocin released in huge amounts in labour:...

Certain learning and memory functions are impaired by centrally administered oxytocin. Also, systemic oxytocin administration can impair memory retrieval in certain aversive memory tasks. Interestingly, oxytocin does seem to facilitate learning and memory specifically for social information.

Just googled oxytocin (yes, I know I need to get out more! :oops: ) Apparently you can buy it as a nasal spray. All sounds a bit dodgy so I don't advise anyone go down that route yet(as I said, DS only in Yr 3 - I may be on all kinds of medication by the time he hits Yr 6 :lol: )

Back on topic. :D - Sympathy 3pink - I would definitely say it can feel tougher going through it all with the 'benefit' of hindsight. As for the tutor question? You know your own child best - I think you just have to go with your instincts (and your bank balance).

Back off topic for a minute - does anyone else think 'oxytocin' sounds like it should be someone's forum name? :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:23 pm 

Second child only in Year 1 :lol: and am already seriously considering moving into catchment this time. :oops: