Fair banding in secondary schools

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Looking for help

Re: Fair banding in secondary schools

Post by Looking for help »

Amber, don't worry, I was being silly, sorry :oops:

mim, thank you for your apology.

Of course I read all the points put forward and come back with some of my own, disagreement is integral to debate.

I understand entirely how the process works, and don't believe it's fair only to do with the admissions side. Of course I live (mentally) in a world where every child is deserving of a decent education whatever their ability , and wherever they live and in whatever circumstances they live. Fair banding and lottery systems are bad news in my opinion because parents making applications to secondary school can put all these choices (sometimes 6 and sometimes only 3) on their application form. It is really difficult as everyone knows, to pick schools you are happy with, but then to find you've only got a 1 in 10 chance of being succesful, or it to be decided by picking names out of a hat, just seems wrong to me. And then you're down to your last choice which is going to have to be the one nobody else wants because they've not got a lottery for places or fair banding which makes it seem really great. No I won't be convinced. Catchments do have their problems, but at least you know where you stand. :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now