KS3 duration

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Anonymous wrote:At my sons grammar they also adopt KS3 in two years, which for my son is excellent (predicted level 8 in Maths this year in year 8), however the problem we have had is chosing his options for GCSE, which he will start studying Sept 2007, in year 9.

He has no idea of his career path, I suspect like most children in year 8, and chosing the options that are going to help him most in his future unknown career path has been very difficult.
At the end of my son't first year of KS3 in 2 years, my views are similar.
The condensed KS3 has been excellent for him so far, (also predicted level 8 in maths in year 8 ).
But I am also wondering about some issues like having to chose GCSEs options early.

I don't know the exact details of the arrangement for GCSEs yet, but I know that the pupils will take some in year 10, some in year 11. This is good because they won't have to prepere for 11 or more subjects the same year. But the downside is that they will have studied some subjects for 4 years instead of 5.
On the plus side, the condensed KS3 allows the inclusion of the preparation for the separate sciences CGSEs into the the normal school day instead of evening extra classes.

For anyone interested, here's a link to the DFES 'Evaluation of the Two Year Key Stage 3 Project'
http://www.dfes.gov.uk/research/data/up ... /RR836.pdf

And two conflicting views about its implications and the issue of acceleration v enrichment raised by guest55:
http://www.m-a.org.uk/making_better_use ... al_talent/
http://www.tes.co.uk/search/story/?story_id=2054609
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Catherine,

The pupils I have spoken to speak very differently about it - it has been a bit of a 'dog's dinner' - with some children having to retake in Year 11 and fewer A*s.

There is NO NEED to condense the curriculum in Maths as there is a seemless transition between KS3 and KS4 - Year 8 is too early to be dropping subjects.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

I am sure that the condensed KS3 isn't beneficial to everyone and has some negative implications.

However, reading the Bucks 'KS3 in 2 years' topic
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=2943
, it appears to me that the Waddesdon experience is viewed positively, and encouraging enough for many other schools to follow suit.
Wiki wrote:The Amersham School are also planning to introduce this from Sept 07 so I hope the analysis is available quickly! Staff at the Amersham School spoke very positively about their observations of Waddesdon and seemed very excited about the impact on personalised learning.
It can't be that bad....
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

I would like to add that I would not disregard the policies of a well respected school like Waddesdon too lightly.
As you know, they are an outstanding school, that are aware of the implications of their policies.

( Ofted report http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/reports/pdf/?i ... 061006.pdf
)
Some Ofsted comments:

Curriculum and other activities
Grade: 1

The curriculum is outstanding because it is flexible and meets the needs of students
in both the main school and the sixth form very well. Leaders design the curriculum
at Key Stages 3 and 4 from the starting point of the assessment of the students'
personal development and academic achievement. Early assessment in Year 7 enables
appropriately challenging targets to be set. Key Stage 3 is condensed into two years
for all students. The three years working at Key Stage 4 enable the school to cater
more fully for both gifted and talented students and those students who require a
more vocational and applied approach, including a personalised work related programme
for some students. Gifted and talented students are able to take appropriate GCSE
subjects in year 10 so that they are able to embark on extension courses in year 11,
such as separate science subjects or AS level modules.

More about their policies
(see prospectus http://www.waddesdonschool.com/document ... _06-07.pdf )

In 2002 the school introduced an Accelerated Flexible Learning Programme.
KS3 is taught over two years and students start their GCSE courses in Year 9.
This curriculum initiative has enabled greater flexibility to be developed within the learning programmes.
Students are encouraged to take examinations at their preferred stage of development.
Pupils continue to take SAT examinations in Year 9;
the core subjects of English, Mathematics, Science and ICT
have adapted teaching programmes to accommodate preparation for these tests.
The project is now in its fourth year and is supported by various
curriculum initiatives including Successful Learning and the Waddesdon
School Learning Culture.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Catherine,

Waddeson is a very good school - I do not believe it is 'outstanding' - it gets good results because of the middle class intake and because people fight to get their children in.

I do think a shortened KS3 is not a good move for PUPILS - as it makes them drop subjects even earlier than before [and I think that is too early for some children.
chad

Post by chad »

I am completely in agreement that the condensed KS3 is not right for all children...but I do not think it can be assessed as being wrong for all pupils. For some this may prove to be exactly what they need.
My son does not know exactly what his carreer path is going to be but he knows the subjects that he finds harder than others. He will benefit from being able to concentrate on the subjects he does want to do at an earlier stage.
Surely part of condensed KS3 is to monitor and assess children correctly and give them guidance on what choices to make...this would be the mark of a good school... not whether they cover the curriculum in 2 or 3 years.
The school have already recommended that a child does the core subjects (Maths, English Lang, Eng Lit, Chem, Biology, Physics, 1 MFL, 1 Humanities, ICT_ along with 3 other subjects of own choice.
This would give a wide enough scope for most careers.

While I can understand that you have personal experience of talking to pupils who call it s bit of a 'dogs dinner' again I believe this may not be just because of the condensed KS3 but but the way it was organised, timetabled....etc.
Each school will be different in their approach and until there are more 'results' on the table I cannot see any reason for lambasting KS3 in 2 years for the children that are able to achieve in that time.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Waddesdon had the first GCSE results this year for a cohort that did the KS3 in 2 years

[quote]Waddesdon CE School Celebrates Record Results

Students and staff at Waddesdon Church of England School are celebrating the best GCSE results in the school’s illustrious history, with 85% of students gaining 5 or more A*-C grades and 76% gaining 5 or more A*-Cs including English and Mathematics. Almost one quarter (24%) of grades were A* or A. All students gained at least 1 GCSE pass. Headteacher Peter Norman said, “These results are truly phenomenal! Our students have performed brilliantly! The previous best result for 5 or more A*-C grades was 78% 3 years ago and the previous best for 5 or more including English and Mathematics was 63%. To have broken both of these records so comprehensively is utterly outstanding. Our students and their teachers are to be enthusiastically congratulated on their fantastic efforts. Yet again the school has shown that students of all abilities can and will achieve great things, given the right balance of support and challenge. Their achievements are the result of students’ sustained hard work, rigorous teaching and the commitment and loyal support of parents and families. Well done everyone!â€
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

GCSE results were up in most schools! Year 11 also contained a number of children who were qualiffied for GS ... the school does not have a 'typical' Upeer School entry profile.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

63% to 76% A*-C including English and Maths in a much larger than average increase.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Remember some pupils had two bites of the cherry!

GCSE data is only provisional and I believe other schools had similar improvements
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now