What do working parents do about after school childcare?

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Yamin151

Re: What do working parents do about after school childcare?

Post by Yamin151 »

Notsithstanding the dangers of trampolining, and we all know those, at the moment at least I think the trampoline was the best thing we ever bought. My boys are small so its still easy for them to be on it together. They play games on it that involve some somersaulting but mainly pacing around it, walking like you always want to on those travelators at Heathrow, gossiping about their respective days at different schools and saying all the rude words and stories that I assume they don't want me to hear!!!!!! Although it is one of those 'I hope to God they don't injure themselves' activities, just like tree climbing, as things stand, the benefit outweighs the risk, for us. Please don't visit me with any accidents now whoever is in charge up there!!!!
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

For another viewpoint, my girls are risk averse despite my encouragement to be very independent, have never broken a bone or gone to A&E (that honor goes to me!) and have had a trampoline since age 18 m. We kept the nets so the dog wouldn't hurt herself jumping off (toy breed expensive and hard for vet to repair!). Trampoline just got given away due to recent loss of interest.

I've left them alone for increasing spells from an early age and both have had a phone and door key since year 5. I get several texts a day from both. I got a flat tyre once while both at home and dd1 aged 11 offered to make lunch for dd2 who was unwell, tempted her with spaghetti hoops n toast- from then on I knew they were capable. Neighbors are on call but to be honest they more often ask DDs round to play with their little ones for a break themselves, than have had to help out. Once dd2 came off a school trip and was sick, and neighbor on call list happened to be at school so took her home and kept her on sofa.

I do my best to get home by 4.30 most days, but have to go in early, so dd1 has to get herself to school. I've also arranged a tutor to come one day a week after school, and have had a cleaner in the past too, on a weekday I can't get home regularly. Breaks up the day or she gets lonely sometimes. At least she is glad to see me!

It all depends on the kids and the local situation.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

So are they alone in the holidays? They sound very capable and mature young ladies, with good neighbourly support. Its easy to forget as well that our parents often felt that secondary school was the time you would be left to your own devices without much worry other than if you had a key! And arguably, if we let them out to play they are around far more risks with cars etc than in the home being careful.
If your household has a cleaner every now and then that is a good idea to build into your time at work, yes, and in your case the tutor too. I also like idea of an older teenager of a neighbour popping in sometimes. As you say, its as much to do with just breaking up the day alone.

Toy dogs are VERY £££££ yes!
Amber

Post by Amber »

Yamin151 wrote:Notsithstanding the dangers of trampolining, and we all know those, at the moment at least I think the trampoline was the best thing we ever bought. My boys are small so its still easy for them to be on it together. They play games on it that involve some somersaulting but mainly pacing around it, walking like you always want to on those travelators at Heathrow, gossiping about their respective days at different schools and saying all the rude words and stories that I assume they don't want me to hear!!!!!! Although it is one of those 'I hope to God they don't injure themselves' activities, just like tree climbing, as things stand, the benefit outweighs the risk, for us. Please don't visit me with any accidents now whoever is in charge up there!!!!
At risk of now being the bossy know-all, you do know that they should never be on a trampoline with another person, I am sure? I won't go on - and our very nasty accident happened with one child doing a handstand on it, so can't even pull that one, but I do know that everyone who advises on safety says never more than one at a time. Had to say it just in case. :oops:
http://www.rospa.com/leisure-safety/advice/trampoline/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
memphis

Post by memphis »

Yamin151, what a really nice post. I accept your apology and thank you for understanding.

I realise I forgot to explain my intention in my earlier post. I often discuss safety measures with both my ds's, what to do for emergency etc.

silverysea that's nice, how sweet are your dd's?

I'm taking notes from all your ideas, really appreciate your tips! It's a whole new experience for me.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

One totally not Ofsted-regulated option that we used to use with DD and DS2 from year 5 / year 3 respectively was for them to go to one of the numerous local cafes for a while on their way back from school if it was a non-childminder day but I was going to be out at school pickup time. Onus on offspring to behave nicely (not squabble :lol: ) and obviously no onus whatsoever on the staff to act as babysitters. It worked very well for us, although we did have to change 'provider' at one point when the little cafe nearest to home changed its opening pattern. Not our DC's doing, I hasten to add - the owners still speak to us!

We tend not to put too many restrictions on what our DC do if they are in on their own at the end of the school day, other than remind them to lock the door properly if they go out again and leave the house empty - and for the younger two, to say that 'parent busy at the moment' rather than 'no parent home'. DS1 is nearly 18 so has to put up with being an adult if he makes the mistake of answering the door and is practically on Christmas card terms with the various parcel delivery people. DS2 usually watches endless episodes of 'Spongebob' or 'Jessie' whilst possibly getting on with homework, DD will probably go upstairs and Skype friends or catch up with something vital in the Pretty Little Liars line (wish she would keep her spoilers to herself there, I only got to the end of series one and might want to catch up myself sometime :evil: ). DS1often just goes to his girlfriend's house for a while after school.

If one of them started cleaning the house in our absence - or even our presence - I would probably keel over on the spot...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx