Where's the 'trendy school bag' and 'plastic wallet' thread?

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ourmaminhavana

Re: Where's the 'trendy school bag' and 'plastic wallet' thr

Post by ourmaminhavana »

After two years we felt it was time to order a new blazer and replace all the other once oversized major items of clothing we bought for DS in Year 7. Surprisingly he seems willing for me to fit him in another oversized blazer, despite now entering- hard to believe- Year 9. His only stipulation was that I bought a 'proper' school blazer and didn't attempt to buy a plain one (ie cheap!) and sew the badge on! (I thought my efforts with Beavers'/Scouts' badges were OK until he headed for a Gold Award or something which entailed billions of them!)

PS Good luck to all those wrestling with sticky backed plastic. I remember doing this overseas once and found it quite therapeutic, once I'd managed to find the right words to ask for it! :lol:
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

They have sticky back plastic at 2 rolls for £1 in Poundland at the moment if anybody needs it. Lots of other stationery items too.
malibu

Post by malibu »

pheasantchick wrote:I've been on this forum for a few years now,and every year someone asks where to get trendy, practical, not toooo expensive school bags, and there is always advice on buying plastic wallets ( foolscap, not. A4).

Where are all the new year 7 mums and dads? Are they more clued up then us parents in the past ?

Surely someone must have a question about starting senior/ secondary/ high school?
OK, so I thought I was super organised, and bought everything back in July!!
But I haven't bought plastic wallets :shock:
They weren't mentioned on the list of stationery items to buy from the school, so assumed they're not needed. Am I wrong? Should I get some?
doodles

Post by doodles »

My DS's use plastic wallets (foolscap not A4) - one for each subject, everything can go in it, papers, exercise books and even thinner text books. Means they can just grab the correct wallets for that day and it keeps things nice and tidy in their school bags. Works a treat.

Off to Tesco this afternoon to get the stationery, doubled up my clubcard vouchers so £10 in vouchers means £20 of stationery and I am sadly excited by this !!!!!

All bought and about to be named :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol:
hedwigsmum

Post by hedwigsmum »

Why foolscap? I've bought A4. Will they be too small?
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

50 pages of A4 into an A4 folder just does not fit!!! Foolscap gives just that extra bit of space (and there are some text books which are quite fat as well and slightly bigger than A4 ...
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Can anyone recommend a brand of plastic wallet? I have bought Smiths in the past but my DC's seem to trash them very quickly.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I would recommend the toughened ones - I can't remember what they are called but if you look on last years's thread I'm sure they are mentioned. Get the larger size - they have a sort of criss-cross strengthening through them and are expensive but buying anythign cheaper if you intend them to hold books and textbooks is a false economy. I'll edit if I remember what they are called!

Like this:
http://www.ryman.co.uk/0520150005/Ryman ... -5/Product" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
doodles

Post by doodles »

Need a rant - just had to pay £5.15 for a packet of 5 ink cartridges in WHS :shock: :shock:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now