CAT in year 7

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Amber

Re: CAT in year 7

Post by Amber »

You know Khalil Gibran on Children daveg? A great starting point for parenting IMHO.

http://www.katsandogz.com/onchildren.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Marigold - just seen your post. Now, why on earth would you wish that? I usually wish I wasn't, but it's like Waugh's twitch on the thread...you keep getting pulled back into it. :D
nina1on

Post by nina1on »

The whole post appears to end up in giving advice how not to do the preparation. I did manage to buy the digital copy o CAT from GL-assesment thanks to the second poster. I just do pity you people, you try to make it look like live is still the same as it was in your time, with no stress ,no unemployment after the Uni…and plenty of opportunities in this country! Wake up, time has changed and our kids will face much more stress than you when they grow up. So, a bit of pushing at an early age will do them good or at least prepare them for the live. There is no need to make comments if you have different approach to education than other people!
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

A most entertaining thread - DC schools gave no hint or warning of CATs taking place and we weren't given any results as such. DS 2 did his on his familiarisation day at the end of Y6! The others at the start of Y7. DD didn't meet her targets and was suitably nagged for 5 years; DS exceeded his and there has been no comment from school ever about his targets, neither were they changed; DN was identified as gifted, followed round school and despite getting stunning GCSEs was told his results were disappointing!

They are a load of rubbish and are purely there so that progress can be measured by OfSted IMO.
Amber

Post by Amber »

nina1on wrote: I just do pity you people... There is no need to make comments if you have different approach to education than other people!
And there was I thinking a forum was a place to exchange views, rather than just to endorse one accepted line. :shock:

Spare your pity,nina, it's a strong emotion and one I really don't need, thanks. And nor do my children.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

nina1on wrote:The whole post appears to end up in giving advice how not to do the preparation. ...... There is no need to make comments if you have different approach to education than other people!
nina1on - If you ask a question on here, you may well get a range of responses .......

The advice offered in this thread was well-intentioned (even if it wasn't what you wanted to hear!).

On an open forum other people are entitled to their point of view too, and there is nothing wrong with that so long as forum rules are observed.
Etienne
drummer

Post by drummer »

nina1on wrote: I just do pity you people
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

speaking with my teacher head on ( and my scientist one too)...

it is important to do baseline assessment, how will you be know whether the child is improving, how will you know where to start the teacher if you don't know where they are starting from?
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

My yr 7 DD has done her CAT test today - with no preparation - she was fine about it. I want my DD to find her feet in her new school and get used to the new routines that is enough stress/ pressure for now.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.